Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

New Contributor

Kohls Credit Card Approval 2 months after discharged

[ Edited ]

I filed on 4/4/17 and I was discharged on 7/10/17.  A week before I was scheduled to get discharged I applied and was approved for a Credit One card with a 300.00 limit.  I'm not happy about the fees but I'm not complaining because of my situation.  Then in July I received a great job offer but I needed a car.  I went to a few dealerships and I was getting turned down left and right...mainly because my credit report payment history was completely erased on TU and EQ and the banks wanted me to build my credit history up again before approval.  So I ended up going to Drivetime and thankfully they approved me the same day.  

Fast forward to now I needed some clothes for work so I decided to try my luck and apply for a Kohls card since they have great deals and nice clothes.  I was approved in minutes.  It's only a 300.00 limit but I'm happy to get approved so quickly after the year that I had.  I'm unable to get approved for Capital One because of too many inquiries during the car shopping process.  I plan on waiting a couple months to try with them again and then cancel Credit One.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Kohls Credit Card Approval 2 months after discharged

Hey, congrats! Good luck with the new job. It sounds like you are taking things slowly as you should be. 

Question, For the seasoned folks on board, will canceling CreditOne at this point in keia's rebuild cut their age of oldest account? (age of any account, really) By a few months, really, so it might just be a cost of doing business but something to keep in mind? Or does it stay on report as a closed account in good standing. 

2015 EX794. Filed Ch7 in Jun 2017. EX494, EQ486, TU483.
Most recent 9/24/17. EX561, EQ570, TU501
Burned in bk: PSECU, BoA, Chase, Synchrony (CareCredit).
Discharge in Oct 2017 - begin rebuilding then. Currently in planning mode.
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Closing Credit One won't hurt average of account. Since it's the only bank card he has right now. and he has already taken the hit for new account and inquiry, I would keep it open at least until a year and he can get better cards. It's helping his score at this point.

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to add, my zero balance  Kohl's card survived my BK, it was issued through Chase at the time. They did, however, reduce my CL from $1000 to $200.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

capabk wrote:

Hey, congrats! Good luck with the new job. It sounds like you are taking things slowly as you should be. 

Question, For the seasoned folks on board, will canceling CreditOne at this point in keia's rebuild cut their age of oldest account? (age of any account, really) By a few months, really, so it might just be a cost of doing business but something to keep in mind? Or does it stay on report as a closed account in good standing. 

Closed accounts would remain for 10 years and continue to be a factor in AAoA. It just wouldn't continue to age.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
735 EQ FICO 09/2017
744 TU FICO 09/2017
737 EX FICO 09/2017
$20k NFCU Platinum | $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $17k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Capabk.  I am trying to take things slow because I also have a lot of school loans on my credit report that I will like to focus on paying.  But you made a good point...closing the card too early might hurt me more.  I'll try to keep it open for a least a year.  Thanks

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.