cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's hear about how people were able to get jobs after bankrupcty

tag
Magicdog59

Let's hear about how people were able to get jobs after bankrupcty

I'm assuming that, like me, there are small business owners who filed bankruptcy during and after the last recession, not for personal credit issues, but from the failure of their small business.

For those that don't know, unlike big compaines, executives/owners of small busineses give a personal guarantee against their personal assets (such as a house) when getting a business loan. Exectuves at large companies don't (which is why guys like Trump can have their companies declare BK X number of times, yet remain very wealthy on a personal level). Most small business owners get totally wiped out and have to head back to the job market for employment.

How did you find employment (if you did) after the bankruptcy?

How long did it take you?

How did you disclose your bankruptcy during the interview process?

What type of role did you end up landing (worked, manager, director, executive)?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Let's hear about how people were able to get jobs after bankrupcty

I filed bankruptcy due to failure of my mortgage brokerages...and related personally guaranteed debt/business taxes.

Having always considered myself a salesman, I simply got a commissioned-based sales job in retail while I searched for a better paying opportunity. I have Bachelors and Masters degrees and many years of experience prior to self employment so I searched for management jobs and found one running a healthcare staffing company ... then moved back into the residential housing market as a sales counselor for a natonal builder. Its all about your experience, self-confidence and ability to sell yourself. I love being on 100% commission where my cost to my employer is minimal. Too many avoid commissioned-based employment but I can't say that I understand why.

Message 2 of 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

I am another lover of sales. I find it is nothing more then meeting new people! 12 years of sales/management and still love going to work. Currently in the insurance business.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do part time work but am still looking for full time.   My main problem is that I have a lot of experience in multiple job fields, but not in the field I would like to settle in.  So not having a lot of success with my resume.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Magicdog59 wrote:

I'm assuming that, like me, there are small business owners who filed bankruptcy during and after the last recession, not for personal credit issues, but from the failure of their small business.

For those that don't know, unlike big compaines, executives/owners of small busineses give a personal guarantee against their personal assets (such as a house) when getting a business loan. Exectuves at large companies don't (which is why guys like Trump can have their companies declare BK X number of times, yet remain very wealthy on a personal level). Most small business owners get totally wiped out and have to head back to the job market for employment.

How did you find employment (if you did) after the bankruptcy?

How long did it take you?

How did you disclose your bankruptcy during the interview process?

What type of role did you end up landing (worked, manager, director, executive)?

I'll answer for my fiance' who went through this.

The first two years he did some part time consulting for one of the vendors he used when running his old company. It went really well and this vendor wanted him to move from NYC to FL to become his Marketing Director full-time. He sublet his NYC apartment and took the plunge. (Sidenote: the move to FL is how we met.) The industry he was working in started to tank along with the collapse of 2008/2009 and the time we were allowed to sublet the apartment was up so he moved back to NYC to be closer to more opportunity and I came with him. Jobs were plenty in my field and I was able to get one right away. He ended up starting a new company which after the first few years it always takes to get off the ground is now doing quite well.

Unless a company is running your credit (which I've only ever had happen to me once) there's no reason to talk about your bankruptcy at all. California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Oregon, and Washington actually prohibit it. NYC passed a bill strictly limiting it. If a company does require it and can legally do so, it's best to discuss your situation with them ahead of time . . . when explained, they can often be sympathetic because SO many folks have been in the same position.

I was 3-4 months behind on bills when I obtained my current position and they DID require a credit check. I thought and hoped that it would seem logical to them that I was a little behind after being out of work and that they wouldn't put too much stock in it, so I didn't mention anything about it. Thanksfully I was right. I also work in Finance which can be a little more strict on the credit checks than other industries.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.