Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life after BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Life after BK

Hi all,

I just discovered this community and I love it. Im 24 and my husband abd I already had to file for Bk. It was discharged in May of 2010. AllI can really say is we started out young,thought we knew everything and was in debt. It felt so good to clear everything and to start fresh. We dont have any kids,but want to start a family. Where do you guys suggest we start to build credit again? I'm sorry if this isnt the right place to post,im still learning my way around, but if you can point me in the right direction or anything at all i will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Life after BK

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I just discovered this community and I love it. Im 24 and my husband abd I already had to file for Bk. It was discharged in May of 2010. AllI can really say is we started out young,thought we knew everything and was in debt. It felt so good to clear everything and to start fresh. We dont have any kids,but want to start a family. Where do you guys suggest we start to build credit again? I'm sorry if this isnt the right place to post,im still learning my way around, but if you can point me in the right direction or anything at all i will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Because my BK was so long ago and many things have changed since then I will let others with more recent experience advise you how to move forward from here.

But you are correct that there is life after BK. Mine was something I'm neither ashamed of nor proud of. It's just part of my life history. The most important piece of advice I can give you is to never forget the mistakes that led to your BK and be determined not to repeat them. It is a long journey back but it can be done.

Be prepared for setbacks on that journey but learn from those mistakes and don't give up. You will get some wonderful advice and suggestions here and no one will judge you because we've all been there.

Good luck to you.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Niktor,

You're posting in just the right spot.

Give us a little more info and we can help you more.  Some things that might help are:

Was it a CH 13 or CH 7 BK?

What open accounts are on your report?

If you pulled your FICO scores from here, what comments did you get under "What's Hurting Your Score" and "What's Helping Your score"?

If you pulled your scores from somewhere else, where did you pull them?

You'll get some great feedback from everyone.  Glad you're here!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! This is definitely the right spot. First thing that you want to do is check your report for any mistakes on it or accounts not being listed as included in BK or zeroed out correctly. Then you'd want to apply for some unsecured cards if your fico is decent (550-600+), and if you can't get those, try for a secured card. Getting new credit after bk is very important, and absolutely no matter what else, you want to never be late!!!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you have already been discharged , you may what to explore the possibility of purchasing a home.  That's the best start.  Edited

I filed for Chapter 7 a few months ago and now Im waiting for my discharge papers.  I need to be discharged for at least 12 months before I can get a loan.  Anyway, good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.