Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Living Situation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Living Situation

I plan to ask this of my attorney tomorrow, but everyone here has been so full of great advice I thought I would turn here first.

I quit my job so that I can move across the state and be closer to family and friends. Without a job and no savings (what little I have is going towards attorney fees) I can't get a place on my own.

The plan is for me to move into my boyfriends house. I will be breaking a lease in the process of all this and would like to include that debt on the bankruptcy. Don't want to start new and have debt all over again.

What will happen if I move into my boyfriends house before filing bankruptcy? Will I have to count his income. Best case scenario I would stay in my current place until the bankruptcy got filed, but I would have to get out before the 341 meeting.

I would really just be a mooch, he won't be responsible for any of my personal debts. He makes well above median income for the state, but also has a lot of expenses.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Living Situation

@Anonymous wrote:
I plan to ask this of my attorney tomorrow, but everyone here has been so full of great advice I thought I would turn here first.

I quit my job so that I can move across the state and be closer to family and friends. Without a job and no savings (what little I have is going towards attorney fees) I can't get a place on my own.

The plan is for me to move into my boyfriends house. I will be breaking a lease in the process of all this and would like to include that debt on the bankruptcy. Don't want to start new and have debt all over again.

What will happen if I move into my boyfriends house before filing bankruptcy? Will I have to count his income. Best case scenario I would stay in my current place until the bankruptcy got filed, but I would have to get out before the 341 meeting.

I would really just be a mooch, he won't be responsible for any of my personal debts. He makes well above median income for the state, but also has a lot of expenses.

^^^Your question is an excellent question for your attorney. I really would not make any move anywhere until after you file, but please confirm with your attorney - I am just a consumer that has been through the process one time.

Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Living Situation

I would not tell anyone that you are moving in with your boyfriend. You are moving in with a friend who is graciously willing to allow you to stay in his place until you get back on your feet. Moving in with a family member is cleaner if possible. If you could avoid buring your landlord, then take care of your rental bill. You never know when you may need to get another rental and landlords share the deadbeat tenans names in their network.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.