Looking for 3rd Card - need advice

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Looking for 3rd Card - need advice

@Scupra wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Good! Congrats again, use them and make sure to ask for your CLI's so they can grow with you Smiley Happy Well on your way to a healthy, thick credit profile! 700 in no time!

Impressive scores man....  700 on 2 of the 3 CRAs 2 years out of a BK7.

My peak so far is 700 exactly on EQ last December prior to opening my new CC's and buying my car.

I'm venting a bit here but it baffles me how you can hit 700 with a "fresh" BK7 where I won't hit 700 until my BK13 stuff falls off in another 6-9 months.  I know FICO is a big mystery when it comes to scoring but I have been stuck in the 670-700 range for the last year... and every score I see is the same "seriously delinquency and/or public record" on file.

Really?  Does that excuse not apply to BK7 filers?  I am 2 years out of discharge and 6 years since filing.  Why does it seem I am being penalized more here?

... and no, I don't buy my < 20% UTI and 6 new CC accounts in the last year as reasons for my scores being stuck.  Even when the new accounts hit my reports I lost either 1 FICO point or 0 FICO points.

Just mind boggling... almost as much as seeing BK7 filers with $150k in new credit inside of 2 years.  I guess creditors know you can't burn them again for another 8 years though...

Thanks! My situation may be a bit different as I only "burned" medical debt. I had two very small credit cards that were charged off and a 7 year old cap1 that was never late and open when I filed (closed by Cap1 when they caught wind of the BK). I was ashamed to file BK and waited far too long to file. By the time I filed all my negatives were set to fall off 1-2 years later. So now that all of my baddies have fallen off my scores improved greatly. I do have some high limits with NFCU, but I'm not sure that holds much weight. NFCU seems to hand out high limits like they are candy Smiley Very Happy Your scores may be lower but I will pay for three glorious years longer. I actually wanted to file 13 and my lawyer talked me out of it.. 

Yeah NFCU definitely does toss limits around like candy.  It's funny how they do that... my BECU told me I had to work my way up with small limits and it took me 2 years to get to the $10k that I am at... they cited "no experience at previous levels of credit" which makes perfect sense.

NFCU on the other hand gives $10k-$25k limits to BK7 filers whose previous high limit CC was $2k.  I don't understand it but I see it all the time right here at myFICO.

Funny how your attorney talked you out of a 13... mine seemed to steer me in that direction when I'm thinking I would have qualified for a 7.

Water under the bridge now...  if early exclusion holds true my TU is clear on 10/1 with EQ and EX on 1/1.  Looking forward to that...  rebuilding hasn't been that difficult but it has required a lot of patience.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 31 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.