cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to apply for Secured Credit Card after Bankruptcy Chapter 7 discharge. Please advice

tag
conceptmat
Established Member

Looking to apply for Secured Credit Card after Bankruptcy Chapter 7 discharge. Please advice

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member of this Forum. Just today I received a discharge after filing Chapter 7.

I'd like to start rebuilding my credit ASAP. First step I am planning to do is to apply for Secured Credit card. I saw some posts here advising to open CC at local CU. My problem is that I have a Chex Systems record from back in 2007. Trying to clear that but in the main time, which cards would you recommend? I'd prefer to go with reputable banks. If there are any that are known to approve after Chapter 7 please post them here.

Thank you

CM

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking to apply for Secured Credit Card after Bankruptcy Chapter 7 discharge. Please advice

Im new hwew as well. Try the capital one preapproval.  its all on the boards here. I tried it and was approved for unsecured card with 300 cl. good luck

Message 2 of 8
conceptmat
Established Member

Re: Looking to apply for Secured Credit Card after Bankruptcy Chapter 7 discharge. Please advice

Thank you, I actually just applied for Cap 1 an hour ago. It says application submitted but no answer yet. How long did it take for you to get approval/answer?

Message 3 of 8
Poorboi
Contributor

bank of America, and  u.s bank gave me one

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

because of the bankruptcy still pending, I got an email response saying they were reviewing the info.

I received my credit card Wed Oct 3...

my discharge isnt even discharged yet,,, call the 800 number on these boards and check the status,,,

this website and forums are great,, and make sure you contact chex systems and send them the info that you filed bankruptcy.

This site told me to do that and they are removing my chex systems negative records.

good luck

Message 5 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I was able to get a secured card from PNC Bank. You have to inside the branch and have a checking account with them. I also got one from my credit union.

Message 6 of 8
conceptmat
Established Member

That's great to know! I did not know that Chex would clear you record because of Bankruptcy.

Thank you everyone for input!

Message 7 of 8
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Amalgamated Bank, Chicago is recommended by the author of a book on recovering from BK.  He recommends calling them, not making an online application.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.