Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Looks like Chase has a looonnnngggg memory! - Has anyone gotten a Chase Freedom after BK?

[ Edited ]

I had posted in the thread asking about what our post BK FICO scores are now.  BK 7 filed 9/08 and discharged Jan 2009.

My scores are below: 705 (TU) and 682 (EQ).  I mentioned I was trying to get out of the subprime cards, because all the rebuilding I am doing now is through Cap One, Best Buy, Credit One, First Premier (ewww) and Barclays itunes. They are all sub prime except for the Barclays card, I think it might be a prime or semi prime.

So I took the plunge and apped for Chase Freedom (dumb, I know now).

Got denied right away. Called for a recon and spoke to a rep. They pull EQ. The rep said I had to wait a while because of the BK. I asked how long. She said 10 years!

What????

Turns out that my EQ report is not showing any AAoA. It shows zero!  It is some sort of software glitch because I never had that issue before and now all the beginning dates of every line of credit, cc and mortgage that I have had for many, many years was shown "backward" so the AAoA reflected as zero in one spot and NaN in another. 

Course I didn't know that when I was talking with the Chase rep. so I think that is a huge factor.  Then she mentioned the $15k that I BK'ed on Chase in 2008.  So it looks like I am in subprime territory for a while because I had Chase, BOA and some other prime cards at the time. 

Has anyone else had a Chase card after including Chase in their BK? And if so, how long was it before approved you?

Mods: this might need to be moved to the rebuilding forum. Thanks.

BUMP! Looking for anyone that has received a Chase card after their BK...please give your experience and how long since you were discharged (and if you had included them in your BK). Thanks!

anichols926

Re: Looks like Chase has a looonnnngggg memory! - Has anyone gotten a Chase Freedom after BK?

I am bumping this as I too would like to know if anyone included Chase in a BK and ever got credit with them again.  And if so, how long did it take.

We filed 06/01 and the BK no longer shows on any of the credit reports.  I applied for an Amazon Chase card last Fri and received the rejection letter today.  The reason given is "delinquency or other degrogatory relationship with our bank".  

They pulled Equifax which I had pulled prior to applying and my FICO score is / was 811.

We currently have a Chase card but it was formerly something else and Chase bought them.  Never been late on this card so that is not the account they are referring to.  And I think it is ironic that they are on the credit report as an account in good standing and part of the reason I have an 811 score but now the don't want to give me credit :smileyhappy:

Established Member
penelope10

Re: Looks like Chase has a looonnnngggg memory! - Has anyone gotten a Chase Freedom after BK?

I claimed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in May 2002.  I never had any relationships directly with Chase, and Chase was not listed on my schedule of creditors.  I applied and received a Chase card in June 2004, and was approved for a $5000 limit.  I also had a Washington Mutual Visa approved in 2004 with a $5500 limit that Chase eventually took over.  Both of these cards were non rewards earning cards.  I tried to get a reward card for a few years, and everytime Chase disapproved because of bankruptcy.  As soon as the Bankruptcy fell off, I was approved for a CSP in April 2012.  When I applied, even though the BK was no longer on my CR (I verified before applying), Chase told me that one of the debts I included in bankruptcy was bought by Chase after the Bankruptcy, and that is why I had to wait 10 years. 

Starting Score 5/1/2002: 553
Current Score 5/30/2012: 785 (EQ FICO)
Current Score 10/2/2012: 803 (TU FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Thank you penelope10, that is just the kind of info I was looking for....I hope others chime in too with their experiences.

It certainly will save me from an inquiry every year for a Chase account that is not possible until 10 years after discharge!

Congrats on your steller recovery from BK :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
sewmuchdebt

i filed ch7 bk in 8/09 and included several chase accounts. i have not applied with them for any cards post bk because i feared they would blacklist me especially since a couple of those accounts were filed as lawsuits. i am waiting to see who else chimes in also.

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
compassion101

I included chase in my BK in '04. I had a WAMU card that converted to Chase in '08/09. I've had 2 small CLI on the cards and a product change recently to a Freedom card. My scores are 720ish.

I'm pretty certain they keep a record of your previous accounts more than 10 years and may have an impact on decisions, but don't think it blacklists you 100%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+