Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made my final Ch 13 pyt; what now?

tag
regdwight
Visitor

Made my final Ch 13 pyt; what now?

So, my final Chapter 13 plan payment was sent a week ago to my trustee. I completed the the mandated online debt management course and passed the exam. Now, I openly wonder how long does it take and what mountains need to be moved before I my get back in the game, if you will. Or... does one ever really do?

OP,

I started a new thread for you for better exposure.

~Lexie

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Recovering from chapter 13 bankruptcy

@regdwight wrote:

So, my final Chapter 13 plan payment was sent a week ago to my trustee. I completed the the mandated online debt management course and passed the exam. Now, I openly wonder how long does it take and what mountains need to be moved before I my get back in the game, if you will. Or... does one ever really do?

You probably won't get an answer from the OP because this thread is 6 years old... so I'll go ahead and answer.  

If you sent the final payment last week and have completed the management course now you just wait for your discharge.  You can expect to wait 60-90 days.  I sent my final payment on 2/13/13 and got my discharge on 5/7/13 as a reference.

Once you have your discharge you are free to start applying for credit.  "Getting back into the game" doesn't take long.  I started with a car loan a few days after my discharge and got a CapOne credit card.

I've built on that over the last 14 months to the accounts you see in my sig... and refinanced my car loan as well.  

Be patient and good things will happen.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 8
regdwight
Visitor

Re: Recovering from chapter 13 bankruptcy

Hey, TRC WA,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for responding to me. Just one thing, Am I right in thinking that the actual discharge is to be mailed to me and if so by whom? the chapter 13 trustee... my bankruptcy attorney?  the court? who mailed you yours finally?

@TRC_WA wrote:

@regdwight wrote:

You probably won't get an answer from the OP because this thread is 6 years old... so I'll go ahead and answer.  

If you sent the final payment last week and have completed the management course now you just wait for your discharge.  You can expect to wait 60-90 days.  I sent my final payment on 2/13/13 and got my discharge on 5/7/13 as a reference.

Once you have your discharge you are free to start applying for credit.  "Getting back into the game" doesn't take long.  I started with a car loan a few days after my discharge and got a CapOne credit card.

I've built on that over the last 14 months to the accounts you see in my sig... and refinanced my car loan as well.  

@TRC_WA wrote:

@regdwight wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@regdwight wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@regdwight wrote:

Message 3 of 8
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

Re: Made my final Ch 13 pyt; what now?

I just sent in what I hope will be the final payment for our chapter 13 as well. We are actually paying ours off 7 months early. I am very anxious to get our credit scores up so we can purchase another home in a 18-24 months. Luckily, I have obtained a a secure credit card and two unsecured cards already to help the process. 

I am hopeful it does not take too long for the trustee to audit the files.

Best of luck to you!

Message 4 of 8
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Its_Me wrote:

I just sent in what I hope will be the final payment for our chapter 13 as well. We are actually paying ours off 7 months early. I am very anxious to get our credit scores up so we can purchase another home in a 18-24 months. Luckily, I have obtained a a secure credit card and two unsecured cards already to help the process. 

I am hopeful it does not take too long for the trustee to audit the files.

Best of luck to you!

Anxious enough to obtain new credit prior to your discharge?  Did you get trustee approval or are you just rolling the dice?

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 8
Debt-Sucks

Now you get to wait.  I made my last payment in May and applied then for my discharge.  The Trustee did the audit pretty quickly and lifted the court order docking my pay.  I recieve my first actual paycheck in 5 years on the 30th.  However, I've been waiting almost 60 days since I applied and still no discharge.  I know it takes time, but after 5 years of suffering through this......I'm impatient.

Message 6 of 8
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

Our trustee's "rule" is that you can not acquire any non-emergency debt over $1000 without trustee approval.

Message 7 of 8
ab45737

Hi there again ... this question is for "Debt-Sucks" ... can you share with me what you mean when you say "applied for my discharge"?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.