Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Back Mortgage Payments During BK7 Proceedings

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making Back Mortgage Payments During BK7 Proceedings

My basic question is - Can I pay my back mortgage payments while filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

As far as my timeline goes - I have filed and the trustee meeting is in 3 weeks, and the discharge date a few months after that.

Due to the loss of my business, I filed Chapter 7. I am behind on my mortgage, but a stay has been placed so the mortgage company cannot foreclose. They are now filing to have the stay lifted so they can proceed with foreclosure.

A family member has offered to help catch me up on my back payments. Will that jeopardize the chapter 7 if I make one large payment (about $18,000) to my mortgage company? Or, would making 4 payments of about $5,000 each over the next 4 months before the discharge? I would then be current on my mortgage going into the discharge.

We were going to wait until after the discharge to catch up, but it seems more and more risky to wait that long. My lawyer does not have a definitive answer except to seek loan modification (to help buy some time), which I was already turned down once for.

I'm trying not to lose my home through this process. It's worth about $180,000 with about $90,000 in equity.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Making Back Mortgage Payments During BK7 Proceedings

@Anonymous wrote:

My basic question is - Can I pay my back mortgage payments while filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

As far as my timeline goes - I have filed and the trustee meeting is in 3 weeks, and the discharge date a few months after that.

Due to the loss of my business, I filed Chapter 7. I am behind on my mortgage, but a stay has been placed so the mortgage company cannot foreclose. They are now filing to have the stay lifted so they can proceed with foreclosure.

A family member has offered to help catch me up on my back payments. Will that jeopardize the chapter 7 if I make one large payment (about $18,000) to my mortgage company? Or, would making 4 payments of about $5,000 each over the next 4 months before the discharge? I would then be current on my mortgage going into the discharge.

We were going to wait until after the discharge to catch up, but it seems more and more risky to wait that long. My lawyer does not have a definitive answer except to seek loan modification (to help buy some time), which I was already turned down once for.

I'm trying not to lose my home through this process. It's worth about $180,000 with about $90,000 in equity.

Thank you!

Well, your attorney really needs to give you some definitive answers, that's what you're paying them for.

For one, your attorney needs to tell you if your $90k in equity in your home is "exempt". Laws vary by state as to how much assets you can keep in a BK7, and $90k is quite a bit. "Exempt" means your state laws allow you to keep that much equity in your home.

How did you file with regards to your mortgage? Your choices should have been 1)Reaffirm, or 2)Retain, or 3)Surrender

Reaffirm means to exclude the mortgage from the BK and the original terms remain in effect. This is generally not advisable, but with $90k in equity you should be fine. If your mortgage balance was close to the value of the home you would not want to reaffirm. 

Retain means you plan to keep the home and continue to make payments on time, but the debt is discharged so all the lender can do is repossess if you call behind on the payments, should they sell the home for less than the mortgage balance + fees you are not responsible for that.

Surrender means let them repossess the home.

If you filed with Reaffirm or Retain you should be OK catching up on the payments. BUT you should contact the Court Trustee and ask if they would have any objections to this. And you should contact Suntrust and make sure they will accept the payments - they don't leaggly have to, once you went 30+ days late they got the right to repossess and don't have to accept future payments. But, most lenders much prefer to have mortgages current instead of repossession.

The one tricky thing is that I assume the family member is loaning you the money? The Trustee can object to you taking on new debt during BK. The safest way for you to structure this is to sell xx% of the property to the family member in exchange for the money, and put this in writing. 

I am NOT an attorney, and you really should get legal advice on this.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to note... this would not be a loan that I would be receiving, so I wouldn't be taking on any new debt.  

After clarifying a couple things with my lawyer (Reaffirm or Retain), I need to contact my Court Trustee and make sure there are no objections with me catching up with my mortgage prior to the discharge date. 

Thanks for the input!

Message 3 of 9
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

Hold on a minute.

1.  The comment regarding the equity and your exemption is relevant.  Is the equity in your home fully exempt?  You do not want to be sinking money into the home if the Trustee is going to sell it out from under you.

2.  The comment regarding a Trustee not allowing you to take out a loan is not correct.  While you indicate that the funds would be a gift so this is not an issue, I want to make it clear to anyone reading this. . . a Chapter 7 Trustee has absolutely no say in how you conduct your financial affairs after the filing of the case.  If you want to take out a loan and there is someone willing to lend before you obtain a discharge, so be it.  If you were in a Chapter 13 such would be a different story but this is not an issue in a Chapter 7.

3. Your Trustee does not care if you bring your payments current therefore contacting him is not necessary.  In fact, he will simply tell you to talk to your attny.

4.  As it relates to the comment that your lender has the right to decline payments after 30 days of being late, such is not correct.  The lender can refuse payments that are insufficient to bring the account current.  If, under your State's law, the lender has formallty accellerated the loan you must comply with State law in curing the default (or file a Chapter 11 or 13 in an effort to save the home).  You should contact the lender to obtain a reinstatement figure since it can refuse anything less than an amount that brings the account current.

And. . .

5. DON'T YOU DARE TRANSFER AN INTEREST IN ANYTHING THAT IS PROPERTY OF THE BK ESTATE UNTIL YOUR CASE IS CLOSED OR THE TRUSTEE ABANDONS THE ASSET!

I do agree that your attorney should be addressing these issue.

Des.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I greatly appreciate you taking the time for the lengthy response. I have a phone appt. set up for Friday with my lawyer to make sure I am clear on all these issues.

A few quick things:

1) Part of my confusion is that I was filing B13, and converted it to B7. Therefore I have been trying to get some of the differences straight. 

2) I live in Texas, if that helps clarify some of the state laws.

3) My trustee meeting is set for Dec 15.  

4) I received a packet in the mail this week showing the US Bankruptcy court had received notice that the mortgage company had filed to remove the automatic stay.  Thus, the reason for my initial question about taking the financial "gift" from my family member to bring my mortgage current now, rather than waiting until after the discharge.

I hope that all makes sense. I'm trying to get back on my feet again, trying not to lose my home, while trying not to jeopardize the B7 filing.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1) Part of my confusion is that I was filing B13, and converted it to B7. Therefore I have been trying to get some of the differences straight. 

If you have converted to a 7 you are now in a Chapter 7.  Your filing date does not change.  Your case number does not change.  What changes is the type of bk you are in and the Trustee assigned to oversee the case.  A Chapter 7 Trustee's job is to find and liquidate non-exempt assets for the benefit of creditors.  This is in contrast to the job of the Chapter 13 Trustee which was to collect money from you and then disburse those funds pursuant to a confirmed Chapter 13 Plan.

2) I live in Texas, if that helps clarify some of the state laws.

I beleive Texas has an unlimited homestead exemption.  If I am correct it does not matter how much equity you have in the home.

3) My trustee meeting is set for Dec 15.  

Then your Discharge date should be around February 15, 2018.

4) I received a packet in the mail this week showing the US Bankruptcy court had received notice that the mortgage company had filed to remove the automatic stay.  Thus, the reason for my initial question about taking the financial "gift" from my family member to bring my mortgage current now, rather than waiting until after the discharge.

Since Chapter 7 is not set up to help you "save" the home, in all likelihood the lender will get the stay lifted in a short period of time.  If you want to save the home you do need to get a reinstatement amount (have your attny contact the attorney for the lender).  This amount will cover all of the missed payments, late fees, attorney's fees and some other expenses.  It is going to be more than you think but should be pretty close to the amount stated as the default in the Motion for Releif (assuming an amount is stated in the Motion).

Hope my responses clear up some issues for you. 

Des.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HUGE help!  Thank you!

Better prepared to ask better questions from my lawyer. I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more quick question:

In your understanding, does it matter "who" pays the back payments on the mortgage?  As I mentioned above, a family member is offering to pay the back payments. Does that person need to give the money to me and then I pay, or can they pay directly to the mortgage company?

Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One more quick question:

In your understanding, does it matter "who" pays the back payments on the mortgage?  As I mentioned above, a family member is offering to pay the back payments. Does that person need to give the money to me and then I pay, or can they pay directly to the mortgage company?

Thanks.

From the lender's point of view it should not matter where the funds come from.   If your family member is paying it directly I assume the payment will be by check.  Make sure the check clearly states your account number, name and property address. Regardless of who makes the payment, you need to make sure the lender knows where to apply the payment. 

If the payment is being mailed to the lender, send it via Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested.  Make the lender sign for it. Keep a copy of the payment that was sent and the payment coupon (if any).  Attach the "green card" to the copy of the payment/coupon when it comes back. 

Document, document, document.  Once paid, do a follow-up to make sure the funds were properly applied and that the lender has the account in a current status.  Keep track  of everything.

Des.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.