Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical bill

I just recieved a benefits statement today that was for services rendered 05/19/2016 (Finalized date is listed as 09/21/2017).  How in the heck could it take them 16 months to finalize a medical bill?

I'm not even sure what to do with it, it's showing I have a contribution amount of $1,275.65.

I filed bk7 in Mar of 2017 and my bk7 discharged in July of 2017.  Wouldn't this be included in the bankruptcy?  Do I need to contact my bankrupcty attorney to have it added?  Could I just call the hospital billing department and inform them about the bankrupcty(providing documention of it if requested)?

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical bill

I would talk with the bk attorney.   I once had insurance that took about 90 days sometimes to say what all they paid and i thought that was long. I believe that they can be included imo.  I believe they have to listed in the new schedule but I never heard of anything taking this long to show up.    

Message 2 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

+1 talk first with your attorney. Maybe then the hospital but find out where you stand legally so if you have to talk to hispital you are better prepared.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
+1 talk first with your attorney. Maybe then the hospital but find out where you stand legally so if you have to talk to hispital you are better prepared.

I attempted that route but my attorney was/is on vacation and since I've been helping the wife with her old medical stuff, I've gotten quite familiar with one of the billing reps at the hospital, thus I called them to ask what was reflected on their account listing for it and found out that it was taken care of and she's sending me a billing statement indicating that I have a zero balance due.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just recieved a benefits statement today that was for services rendered 05/19/2016 (Finalized date is listed as 09/21/2017).  How in the heck could it take them 16 months to finalize a medical bill?

I'm not even sure what to do with it, it's showing I have a contribution amount of $1,275.65.

I filed bk7 in Mar of 2017 and my bk7 discharged in July of 2017.  Wouldn't this be included in the bankruptcy?  Do I need to contact my bankrupcty attorney to have it added?  Could I just call the hospital billing department and inform them about the bankrupcty(providing documention of it if requested)?

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

I had one of these. Although not from an Explanation of Benefits, but rather a letter arriving from a collection agency (thankfully not reported on my CR's) after I was discharged.

I sent them a letter and a copy of my discharge and never heard anything from them again.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're supposed to list every debt you have that you can think of when you file bankruptcy, but it actually doesn't matter.  You can't be held liable for ANY debt (aside from student loans yada yada yada) incurred before filing.

Message 6 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're supposed to list every debt you have that you can think of when you file bankruptcy, but it actually doesn't matter.  You can't be held liable for ANY debt (aside from student loans yada yada yada) incurred before filing.

Steeler nailed it

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.