Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting of Creditors (341 Meeting)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meeting of Creditors (341 Meeting)

So, next week, I am on to my next step of filing my BK13 - Meeting of the Creditors.  I am a nervous wreck right now because I don't know what will happen.  If you don't mind sharing, what was your experience at the MoC?  Did your creditors show for the meeting? - Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Meeting of Creditors (341 Meeting)

The 341 meeting is not as stressful as it's made out to be.  Mine was 7 years ago. None of my creditors showed up and in the crowd of people there with me I don't recall seeing any creditors.  I was asked a series of questions for maybe 3-4 minutes, like were all of my debts listed, have I filed tax returns, etc..  It really was over before I knew it.  I recall walking out and thinking just how overblown I had made the whole thing.   

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, next week, I am on to my next step of filing my BK13 - Meeting of the Creditors.  I am a nervous wreck right now because I don't know what will happen.  If you don't mind sharing, what was your experience at the MoC?  Did your creditors show for the meeting? - Thanks.

It's not as crazy as it sounds.  If creditors have any issues they will just file paperwork after the meeting.  If the trustee has any objections you will have to fix those but usually it's over quicky.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

341 s are very easy. Assets, forms filled out correctly, all debts listed, taxes filed. We have to go sometimes as an observer for some of our  clients to see whats up with the house.  

Message 4 of 14
azguy13
Senior Contributor

OP, I was just like you before my 341 meeting but it was a breeze. They verified my Social Security Card, the trustee asked about the circumstances of my filing, and I just had to verify my personal info. It literally lasted no more than 3 minutes. My lawyer was there with me and no creditor showed up. Easy-Peasy. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wasn't the 341 meeting that was hard it is what comes after and making sure you follow all the rules put into place.  If you are doing a chapter 13 you have to send over your taxes every year along with any other things that might come up.

If you are trying to strip a second mortgage get ready for them to contest that.

Just so you know your lawyer will do most of the work and not bother you.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all so much for sharing your experience with this. It does put me at ease. I have heard from others the same - it is a short, 3-5 minute meeting. I actually had my second class - debtor education and financial management this past Saturday. It was so full of information that I needed - some common sense, some I just didn't even think about. The instructor of the class also said to not stress over the 341, it will be over before you know it.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, Voltaic, I was already thinking about the after, especially after my Debtor Ed & Fin Mgmt class this weekend.  They give you so much information - pitfalls, what to do (i.e. making sure trustee has a copy of your tax return every year, file your taxes every year, don't forget to make the mortgage payment (even though you have paid your last payment on the plan to the trustee), don't forget to pay your HOA dues every year, even though they are not sending you a statement (my attorney told me about all this stuff too)). Thanks for the info about the 2nd mortgage. Thankfully, though, I don't have one.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, Voltaic, I was already thinking about the after, especially after my Debtor Ed & Fin Mgmt class this weekend.  They give you so much information - pitfalls, what to do (i.e. making sure trustee has a copy of your tax return every year, file your taxes every year, don't forget to make the mortgage payment (even though you have paid your last payment on the plan to the trustee), don't forget to pay your HOA dues every year, even though they are not sending you a statement (my attorney told me about all this stuff too)). Thanks for the info about the 2nd mortgage. Thankfully, though, I don't have one.

No problem glad I could help.

Here is what got me, during the 341 we got a lunch break.  Here I am listening to all of that stuff and what you should do.  So I go to Subway (which I don't really like) and get a 5 dollar footlong with a drink.  After eating I head back and I see people that were in the class eating Lobster at a local high end restaurant.  I guess some people never learn :\

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, update. I had my MoC on 7/14. The meeting went well. No creditors were present. What I didn't like, though, were the other six people (and their attorney) that were in the room with me. They were six other debtors. I just thought, going in, that it would be me, my attorney, and the trustee (or in this case, trustee rep). This was the only part that I didn't care for...the audience thing. After my four minute questioning was done, me and my attorney had a quick side meeting. He said that I did really well answering the questions that the trustee rep asked. I mentioned the six other people in the room and he said, "Don't worry...you all are all in the same boat. Nothing to be ashamed or embarassed about." I discussed it with my mother as well and she said, "You are going to have to get over this and know that alot of people are going through this same thing and no one is judging you. Take care of your business, make your payments on time, and all will be well." My confirmation hearing is in a month.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.