Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed my first payments

tag
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Missed my first payments

Well I have officially begun my BK journey. I missed my first payments for my plan to file in July.

I'm feeling conflicted. 

I will miss some of my cards - the companies were good to me. 

However, it was amazing to see the amount of money we have when I don't have my cards to pay. I've been able to pay any expenses out of my checking account because the money was there. We may also be able to pay off hubbys' Best Buy card before the end of the promotion period and we are hit with 100's in back interest. 

So I feel good, but also feel guilty for not paying my cards. I will have to learn how to accept and deal with the guilt. Did anyone else feel this? Any tips? 

I'm also struggling with not spending the money in the Checking account unneccesarily. Weird I know, but I'm used to having NONE and now there is something there. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Missed my first payments

Why are you waiting until July to file?
Message 2 of 11
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Because that's when I lose my child support and I lose 3 months of paychecks. I don't get paid during the summer, so the attorney thinks that's the best time. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course, I initially felt guilty and embarrassed, but quickly turned my attention to rebuilding.  I've been helping out a few close friends with the knowledge I've gained from this site and now more freely talk about finances, savings and debt.  

There is tons of great info in this forum that probably addresses any issue you will come across during the process.  You will come through more informed and better prepared to never be in this situation again.

Message 4 of 11
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@nursepowerwrote:

However, it was amazing to see the amount of money we have when I don't have my cards to pay. I've been able to pay any expenses out of my checking account because the money was there. We may also be able to pay off hubbys' Best Buy card before the end of the promotion period and we are hit with 100's in back interest. 

Are you and your husband both filing for BK or just you?   If its both of you then you want to be careful about paying one creditor and not another.   You should ask your attourney about the Best Buy account.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 5 of 11
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Just me.
BK DC 10/18/18
Last app 6/2/21
Message 6 of 11
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@nursepowerwrote:
Just me.

Ok then as long as the Best Buy account is just in his name you should be good, but as always check with your lawyer. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya! We are right there with you as we just my DH's first credit card payments. It's was a rough year for us all around and he's been through a reposession and another reposession of a vehicle he co-signed for this last year. I myself filed 1/19/18 since none of our debt is together all from previous time. I'll be discharged in 30 days (yay!!!!) However, we are doing the same plan as he plans to file in July. He's sad to know his Capital One credit cards will be gone, however those are still only at $500 and $300 SL's. Not huge losses to them but he still feel's bad. As I'm almost though my planning, filing, 341 meeting feel free to let me know or any of us know if you have any questions, we are all here to help Smiley Happy 

Message 8 of 11
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Hiya! We are right there with you as we just my DH's first credit card payments. It's was a rough year for us all around and he's been through a reposession and another reposession of a vehicle he co-signed for this last year. I myself filed 1/19/18 since none of our debt is together all from previous time. I'll be discharged in 30 days (yay!!!!) However, we are doing the same plan as he plans to file in July. He's sad to know his Capital One credit cards will be gone, however those are still only at $500 and $300 SL's. Not huge losses to them but he still feel's bad. As I'm almost though my planning, filing, 341 meeting feel free to let me know or any of us know if you have any questions, we are all here to help Smiley Happy 

Just curious, if you are both going to file why not file jointly?  It would have saved you extra filing and lawyers fees. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.