Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Story

tag
ha05
Established Member

My Story

I have received a lot of great information from this forum, thank you everyone for taking time out to post encouraging messaging to help us that are newly discharged. I decided to file bankruptcy in Aug after midline credit (CA) sued me for wage garnishment (old CC) and sent my employer a notice. The debt was 13 years old and not being reported to any CR but, somehow they received a order to garnishee. Before that I had been in the rebuilding stage and had 3 cc and 2 car loans that had never been late in 2 years and about 14 collection accounts prior to 2012 (mostly medical). I was embarrassed and ashamed to even go and talk to a attorney. She advised us that bankruptcy was a option and we decided to file. I was DC in Dec 28, 2013 and now I understand the credit harm I had caused myself over the years.  I have started following soulmaster plans bk to 700 in 24 months. I have already started the dispute actions and waiting for the final decisions. I applied and received my credit one card last week. I haven't set up a credit builder loan yet because I don't want to over extend myself again and adding another ninety dollar payment at this point isn't right for me or my family. I'm currently unemployed student with 5 children under 15. Before I found this forum I did apply for several cc cards and was declined, but I'm back on track with the plan. Beside the new credit one account, I student loans that are current in deferment. We are also reaffirmed our auto loan in which we only owe 4000 on it. We are still living in our home and have no intentions of letting the house go. So, at this point rebuilding and raising the credit score is more personal.

I spend a great deal of time talking to my 15 and 12 year old about credit and being responsible. I didn't have those talks with my parents ( not that I blaming them, I take full responsibly for screwing my credit up). I just want to give my children the hard start of wise credit use. Just thought I would share my story as most of my family and friends don't understand or even approval of the decision my husband and I made.

Starting Fico score 576 (First week of Feb)

Fico score today 592

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
QFJFKSYD
Valued Member

Re: My Story

Congrats on making the steps needed.  I know how hard it can be.  I should have done it years earlier myself. 

Nice point about talking to the kids.  My step brother was about 15 when I was going through mine and he was living with me at times to get out of the house (our parents are now divorced, thankfully) and he saw everything I went through. He's a much better person for it now too.

Good luck and keep on plan.  Although I didn't use it and it might not apply to me at this point, i have read it many times and believe in the solid advice given.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.