cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Declines (CC and LOC) - Where to go next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Declines (CC and LOC) - Where to go next?

Fair warning: I'm biased, as I work for NFCU. However, their secured credit cards are the best around:

• They can graduate 
  • No annual fee
  • You earn rewards
  • Easy to increase your credit limit

Unless you can get an unsecured card somewhere else w/o an annual fee, it's the best option.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

jumbles wrote:

My BK 7 was discharged in May 2016 and I only have one CC (Credit One Platinum Rewards w/ a $600 limit)

I have an open auto with BMWFS with a balance of $21,500, which has been reporting since Aug 2016.

FICO 8 Scores: 1/17 (EQ 663, TU 639, EX 628)

a new  Navy secured card

* Congratz on getting into Navy & gaining a line of credit.

Consider taking a break, and catch up on some reading, and then consider constructing a plan which would match your personal circumstances and goals.

* * When I did this, before I applied for any cards in my rebuild post Bk 13, I took extensive notes, and still reflect on them today, as it was all applicable to myself, and I haven't "winged-it" even once.   Make a plan, then just execute it.

Best Wishes!!!

The Best (and Worst) Secured Credit Cards according to Beverly Harzog' opinion
http://www.beverlyharzog.com/the-best-and-worst-secured-credit-cards/

My Fico Threads

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p...

Official  Credit Unions Guide
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Official-Credit-Unions-Guide/td-p/4768788

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Pentagon-Federal-Credit-Union-Data-Share/m-...

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Bankruptcy-Friendly-Credit-Cards-Pt-2/td-p/3999737

After reading these, tackle the various NAVY threads for Credit Line Increases. But in "my" opinion, I would wait at least six months, and add additional lines of credit of good quality, as opposed to a collection of (junk) retail credit store cards. (again, just "my" opinion)

Message 12 of 17
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Also try try Bank Of America they will offer you a secured credit card for $99 and no limit of 500. It's a good way to get your foot in the door . Also try Credit one and the shopping cart trick to get some reporting going.
Message 13 of 17
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Also try Bank Of America they will offer you a secured credit card for $99 and a limit of 500. It's a good way to get your foot in the door . Also try Credit one and the shopping cart trick to get some reporting going.
Message 14 of 17
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

@ulyssesmama wrote:
Also try Bank Of America they will offer you a secured credit card for $99 and a limit of 500. It's a good way to get your foot in the door . Also try Credit one and the shopping cart trick to get some reporting going.

It was my impression that even for the BOA secured card you need at least two years, am I wrong?

BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

TXinandout wrote:

@ulyssesmama wrote:

It was my impression that even for the BOA secured card  you need at least two years, am I wrong?

No  you are not wrong, however the YMMV  is always mentioned for a reason.

In my third month of rebuilding post Bk Ch 13 (PAID in FULL) I applied for BOA, and received the No Deposit secured card.

Taking any Fico 8 score, any # of months post Bk, or any metric in ISOLATION, will never provide a full picture of how one of many credit vendors make a decision which the applicant may be thrilled about.

* It is always about the Total Picture.

Additionally it is my experience on this site is that not everyone fully discloses all of the unfavorable data about themselves when they happen to gripe about not getting the Brass Ring they grab for, and insist they should have gotten it.  If they were to fully disclose, objective critiques from this sharp body of analysts would quickly point out what held them back.  But selective disclosures of data precludes that from happening.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started rebuilding two years ago with a first premier secured card and that has let me to Penfed which has approved me for a CC and auto loan.  Im still in an open 13, and they dont seem to care.  My income is 75000 and they just keep giving me credit now.  My visa is up to $37000 limit.

Id say call Penfed.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.