Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Help with CC Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Help with CC Approval

I appled for a cc with NFCU a few days after discharge.  I was denied and asked for reconsideration but again was denied.  I received the letter of denial a few days ago and one of the reasons given was that I didn't have any other credit union accounts reporting on my credit report.  I have really been trying to avoid getting a secure card as I've read to avoid secure cards as much as possible but I really want to get my foot in the door with NFCU other than just my checking and savings accounts that I've had for about 3 months.  Is it a good idea to just go ahead and get a $500.00 or $600.00 secure card so I can show them via that account that I can be responsible and have good payment history?  If so, how long after I start using the secure card should I wait before I apply for an unsecure card with them?  I've tried other banks and really really don't want to keep apping places and adding hard inquiries so any advice would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Help with CC Approval

LNeumen wrote:

I appled for a cc with NFCU a few days after discharge.  I was denied and asked for reconsideration but again was denied.  I received the letter of denial a few days ago and one of the reasons given was that I didn't have any other credit union accounts reporting on my credit report.  I have really been trying to avoid getting a secure card as I've read to avoid secure cards as much as possible but I really want to get my foot in the door with NFCU other than just my checking and savings accounts that I've had for about 3 months.  Is it a good idea to just go ahead and get a $500.00 or $600.00 secure card so I can show them via that account that I can be responsible and have good payment history?  If so, how long after I start using the secure card should I wait before I apply for an unsecure card with them?  I've tried other banks and really really don't want to keep apping places and adding hard inquiries so any advice would be appreciated!

Starting off isn't easy.

What were the other reasons given, other than CU membership?

What CC's have you apped for, as well as your current Fico 8 Scores?

Best Wishes!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other reasons we're number of new accounts. My student loans consolidated to I have 2 new loans reporting and all the others have been closed since the consolidation. It said something about the number of inquiries which I knew would be an issue and that I had a deragatory Banko listed.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and my scores are 612, 550 and 622
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for credit one and capital one. Got in with credit one but I burned capital one in my bankruptcy.
Message 5 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

I'd much rather see you go with the secured nRewards from NFCU. It does not report as secured, reports to all 3, earns rewards and has the potential to graduate at 13 months. None of the crappy fees that come with credit one, and WAY better to deal with. Show NFCU you can handle a credit card and app for an unsecured after 6 months. It's what I did, don't regret it a single bit.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!! I will apply for a $500 secure card tomorrow morning!
Message 7 of 8
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

+ Scupra!
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.