Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

NFCU - Should I deposit heaps of cash before applying for credit?

[ Edited ]

I'm almost 6 months past discharge and have joined NFCU. My score is 681. I have 6k in available credit.

3 questions:

Should I deposit a goodly amount of cash before applying for credit?

Should I wait a while before appying for credit?

What should I apply for?  CC? CLOC? Anything else?

Re: NFCU - Should I deposit heaps of cash before applying for credit?

I was 6 months post-discharge on a Ch 7 biz bankruptcy and was getting pre-screened credit card offers from NFCU (joined 6 months prior and deposited a good chunk of cash in savings there.)  I recently applied for a credit card (unsecured) and was flat declined even after requesting reconsideration.  Their final answer was that "not sufficient time had passed since bankruptcy".  All my scores are in the 700's.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think depositing cash there would necessarily help.  Plenty of people have applied for membership and then applied for a cc the same day and received huge starting limits. If you think you scores are going to increase significantly in a short period of time because a baddie is about to fall off I'd wait.  Otherwise, I'd apply now as your 681 score is decent.

If you do apply for membership keep in mind that they will pull your credit report for each product you apply for.  So, you will have a hard pull (most likely TU iirc) for membership, a hard pull (EQ) for the CLOC, and a third hard pull for the credit card. I applied for a membership and then applied for a credit card and CLOC shortly thereafter.

Asia51 wrote:

I was 6 months post-discharge on a Ch 7 biz bankruptcy and was getting pre-screened credit card offers from NFCU (joined 6 months prior and deposited a good chunk of cash in savings there.)  I recently applied for a credit card (unsecured) and was flat declined even after requesting reconsideration.  Their final answer was that "not sufficient time had passed since bankruptcy".  All my scores are in the 700's.

Crazy.. Any idea why your experience differs so much from other people on here?

How recent was this?

Pedro1 wrote:

I don't think depositing cash there would necessarily help.  Plenty of people have applied for membership and then applied for a cc the same day and received huge starting limits. If you think you scores are going to increase significantly in a short period of time because a baddie is about to fall off I'd wait.  Otherwise, I'd apply now as your 681 score is decent.

If you do apply for membership keep in mind that they will pull your credit report for each product you apply for.  So, you will have a hard pull (most likely TU iirc) for membership, a hard pull (EQ) for the CLOC, and a third hard pull for the credit card. I applied for a membership and then applied for a credit card and CLOC shortly thereafter.

That's a lot of pulling. I don't know much about HP's, but it seems like there's not much I can do about them. I guess I should just act like I don't have any and apply?

No idea why they declined as I was not expecting that.  It was just a few weeks ago, so real current.  I asked for reconsideration 4 times, explained that my ch 7 was business and no personal debts where discharged or harmed.  I still had good reporting history because I had reaffirmed my car loan (perfect payments).  They just said "not sufficient time had passed".  Very frustrating, since they did a HP when I opened the checking/savings accounts 6 months prior - why send me prescreened offers only to decline when they already knew when the ch 7 was?  They also wouldn't tell me how long "sufficient time" was either.

dudebro wrote:

Asia51 wrote:

Crazy.. Any idea why your experience differs so much from other people on here?

How recent was this?

Interesting. Maybe they are tightening up?

You didn't burn them in your BK did you?

Nope, I didn't burn anyone with personal debts.  Only Chase with commericals debts for my ex-husband's company.

Frequent Contributor

I don't think they know what even they are doing. I never get any offers, but my husband almost a few times a week gets a mailing pre qualifation booklet from them in the mail for CCs. We DC in October, and aren't 6 months yet. They must not like me, since I haven't gotten anything, but they like him for some reason. We haven't applied for anything with them again. I did a little after BK and was denied, so I waited. I'm going to try and refi our cars with a local CU in May, so I'm trying to not let the urge get to me to apply for a CC till the car situation is over with.

Ch7 BK filed 7/5/16, DC 10/12/16
Highlighted
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. You do not need to dump a bunch of cash hoping for a better outcome of approval. It won't matter....you'll either be approved or you won't.

Navy has been wonderful too me....They were my 3rd CC 2 months post BK7...Ive been with them over 3 yrs now....October will be 4 yrs. Ive got 2-cc's, car loan, $15K PLOC, checking/savings.

Of course I had to prove myself over that time frame, I didn't get all that right away. I just recently got my 2nd cc with them.

(BK7 d/c-08/2013/FICO-400's)---> 02/2017- EQ-669, TU-676, EX-681
Scores being held down by tons of INQ/New acts Smiley Wink

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.