Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU after BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU after BK

Looking for opinions and experiences here:  How far post-BK, assuming one did not burn them, is it generally considered 'safe' (not a waste of a HP) to apply for NFCU credit products?  I just secured my membership and checking/savings last week, and want to include them in my rebuild

All thoughts welcome!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU after BK

I discharged on 6/29 and because I had taken care of having credit reports updated prior to discharge I applied yesterday (as soon as I saw my CR's showed I was discharged) and was apporved for a $1000 CL.  I do not know if the result is typical, but I am grateful nonetheless.  

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

What documents did you have to provide them if any since you were just DC? Did you apply online or via phone?

Message 3 of 20
Scupra
Super Contributor

It is not uncommon to be approved for a small line the same month Smiley Happy Good luck

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 20
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking for opinions and experiences here:  How far post-BK, assuming one did not burn them, is it generally considered 'safe' (not a waste of a HP) to apply for NFCU credit products?  I just secured my membership and checking/savings last week, and want to include them in my rebuild

All thoughts welcome!

I've read where people were able to approved for $500 NFCU Visas a month after their discharge.

I'm pretty sure they had to proove income and got the highest rate.

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for two CCs within a month of being discharged from BK7.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the CashReward for $500 in mid June, BK7 discharged on 4/6/16. I had a few credit cards prior to the NFCU approval tho.. I don't know if that played a part in the approval. It wasn't instant approval, it took about 24hrs & they didn't ask for any docs from me. I am taking good care of all my cards because I want that cli love from NFCU one day!
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was approved for two CCs within a month of being discharged from BK7.

Can I ask which NFCU cards they were? and Credit Limits?

Currently I am waiting on my TU to reflect a score increase due to my recent Pen Fed Promise card. I just received increased scores for both EQ & EX.

I had been resigned to having a Secured CC with Navy, but I am guessing maybe not.

Of course, YMMV.   Thanks in advance!

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

They didnt ask me fot anything.  I checked my cr bureaus through CK and saw that both showed I was d/c so I took the chance and applied on my own.  I didnt receive an instant approval.  The message stated my application had been recieved and was being reviewed and that I'd hear back in 24 hrs.  I received the approval text message this afternoon.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mama_Pearl wrote:
I was approved for the CashReward for $500 in mid June, BK7 discharged on 4/6/16. I had a few credit cards prior to the NFCU approval tho.. I don't know if that played a part in the approval. It wasn't instant approval, it took about 24hrs & they didn't ask for any docs from me. I am taking good care of all my cards because I want that cli love from NFCU one day!

Congratz
on your Achievement with Navy!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.