Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU question.

tag
redneck18
Contributor

NFCU question.

Just discharged 12/1 (woohoo!). My wife just joined NFCU (she didn't file, just me), by way of two siblings active in military. They approved her for the star rewards card with a 2700 SL. I couldn't find where to apply for the CLOC, can someone please advise?

Also, she is going to now sponsor me in as a member. How long after DC should I wait to apply for the star rewards card? Yes I have read the bk to 700 thread multiple times, but other than student loans there is nothing on my reports that shows previous negatives. We have a mortgage with good payment history still reporting, as well as several trade lines paid in full prior to BK. Cap one already approved me for the QS1 with a 1k SL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU question.

The QS1 card is a good place to start, I suggest letting it age for 6 months and then apply for the next card recommended in the BK-->700 thread you mentioned.

Message 2 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

@redneck18 wrote:
Just discharged 12/1 (woohoo!). My wife just joined NFCU (she didn't file, just me), by way of two siblings active in military. They approved her for the star rewards card with a 2700 SL. I couldn't find where to apply for the CLOC, can someone please advise?

Also, she is going to now sponsor me in as a member. How long after DC should I wait to apply for the star rewards card? Yes I have read the bk to 700 thread multiple times, but other than student loans there is nothing on my reports that shows previous negatives. We have a mortgage with good payment history still reporting, as well as several trade lines paid in full prior to BK. Cap one already approved me for the QS1 with a 1k SL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the discharge and the approval from Cap1, you're off to a great start! The Star Card is not offered by NFCU though..

About half way down there is a place for Checking Line of Credit

I would give NFCU a shot right away, it may work out. If it doesn't make sure to send a secured message to recon.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 15
redneck18
Contributor

Scrupa, thank you. I did try NFCU for the cash rewards card but it was declined. I'll drop them a secure message. Maybe I should have applied for something else?? At least I'm a member, from what I understand that can often be the tricky part now. My wife applied for the CLOC this afternoon. Waiting back on word of that.
Message 4 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

@redneck18 wrote:
Scrupa, thank you. I did try NFCU for the cash rewards card but it was declined. I'll drop them a secure message. Maybe I should have applied for something else?? At least I'm a member, from what I understand that can often be the tricky part now. My wife applied for the CLOC this afternoon. Waiting back on word of that.

All the cards have the same UW besides the Flagship because of the minimum $5k limit. Fingers crossed and good luck

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 15
redneck18
Contributor

Awesome thank you! Any words of wisdom ion my letter for recon?
Message 6 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

@redneck18 wrote:
Awesome thank you! Any words of wisdom ion my letter for recon?

Ohh you know.. Something along the lines of how you are so happy to be with the best credit union ever and you are so excited to build your credit with them. Maybe tell them you don't even mind starting with a low limit to prove yourself to them.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 7 of 15
redneck18
Contributor

LOL ok awesome I'll give that a shot and report back.
Message 8 of 15
redneck18
Contributor

Well it was a no go. I'm sure I rushed it. They recommended to apply for the secured card. I may consider this. As it stands Cap One has been generous with QS1 and the lower level Spark for business card. I'll use this to get some positive history going.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redneck18 wrote:
Well it was a no go. I'm sure I rushed it. They recommended to apply for the secured card. I may consider this. As it stands Cap One has been generous with QS1 and the lower level Spark for business card. I'll use this to get some positive history going.

If they recommended applying for the Secured card, just do it. 

You should be able to get it, and you will have your foot in the door, and you clearly intend for them to see how wonderful of a responsible user you will be, so it will be a no-brainer for them in the "near" future to approve as Un-Secured.

NAVY is Great ! ! !

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.