cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY Foreclosure, bankruptcy, status of deed ownership mess...

tag
LieslMet

NY Foreclosure, bankruptcy, status of deed ownership mess...

To set up the situation and timeline:

June 2010 - husband's income drops by a third due to commission structure changes. Then the local economy tanks, resulting in fewer sales to make commission on, and his pay is more like half of what it was. And about a quarter of what it normally is at that time of year. The first mortgage payment is missed. BOA (Bank of America) says they'll just add it to the end. 

2010 - economy never picks back up. We get behind and try to set up a payment plan... they don't. They don't say yes or no. In the fall, they say to stop making any payments (we sent what we could and they kept sending them back) and they'll get us signed up for a grant to pay off up to a year of hardship payments... and will set us up with a new monthly payment - far lower by reducing interest - through HAMP.

May 2011 - the grant goes through and mortgage is made current. BOA says to wait on making payments because they haven't changed the re-fi loan terms. They'll let us know next month.

June 2011 - husband and a handful of co-workers are laid off. We call BOA and they offer to waive mortgage payments for 3 months... they still haven't changed the loan. They stress to not make any payments until the new loan agreement has been sent.

2011-2012 - They send us forms, every 2-3 months, of exactly the same HAMP refi paperwork. 27 pages each time. They keep saying they didn't receive it. We do certified mail, return receipt. We fax. We go to the local BOA branch and have the branch manager fax from her machine. We have her scan and email it to them. We send certified/RR AGAIN... over and over. 13 times, with confirmation of transmission/receipt every.single.time. We keep getting statements that we're behind by x-amount, every month. They return any payments we send and we end up locked out of the online option/account. They won't restore it until the refi goes through.

January 2013 - we are served with an intent to foreclose... a lis pendens. Husband FINALLY finds a new job... LESS than unemployment but still, a job. With months of no income and having gone through savings, we decide to file bankruptcy.

Feb. 2013 - we get our tax refund, which will pay for a cheap car with no loan and for the bankruptcy.

March 2013 - Bankruptcy is filed. A stay is put on the lis pendens.

June 2013 - Bankruptcy goes through and is complete. We no longer owe for the mortgage but since, in NY State, the deed/title is separate from the loan, we still legally own the house.

September 2013 - We receive notification that Ocwen is our new loan servicer... a week later, I receive notification that BOA has been paid for the defaulted loan by FHA. I also receive a separate - the first - statement from Ocwen, detailing the loan amount (full loan amount plus months in default and servicing fees) and asking for the original mortgage payment. We cannot risk speaking to them on the phone because it's possible to verbally re-affirm the mortgage (which was cleared in the bankruptcy) that way, by accident. I know we don't have to pay them anything and that they may not even attempt to collect the old debt. 

November 2013 - Ocwen sends notice that the loan balance is 7% of the original. 

December 2013 - Ocwen reverts to the original, full balance on its statement.

Present- What the heck is the status of our situation? We're not even in default, according to Ocwen, yet. We WILL NOT re-affirm the debt or refinance new terms. If the house was sold - it's 100 years old, has old electrical and plumbing, no insulation in much of it, no bathrooms on the second floor, and a tilted slab foundation - it MIGHT get as much as 60% of the loan balance. It's liveable but improvements we'd been making have stopped and we don't know the status... so should we even be making improvements or just making it liveable, if we're going to leave anyway? From all the confusion, it really seems like they've just let our account fester... they don't know what's happening and BOA (formerly Countrywide) was paid for the loan. 

Does BOA's lis pendens from a year ago still stand? Could it have been transferred to Ocwen or would Ocwen need to file their own? Is it possible for us to succeed in petitioning for the removal of the lien off our title/deed so we can sell the house for whatever we can and move on? Ocwen is under investigation by the NY Attorney General for deceptive practices and fraud already, btw.

I know it all sounds terrible but at this point, I just want something solid. BOA *both* refused payment *and* refused to refinance... and strung us along, defaulting more and more each month, until they said that refis were closed. With no determination because "we haven't received all the paperwork." I'm just DONE. We felt terrible right up until about the 4th time they said they didn't receive the modification paperwork... when we went to their loan mod EVENT, locally, and their own rep personally took every.single.one of those 27 pages PLUS bill and income and identification verification, handed us a confirmation and copies, signed his name to it, and then BOA's rep said there were pages missing and we'd have to do it AGAIN. And we did- over and over with the same result. I'm done feeling guilty about this. Foreclose and auction the house so we can move. (We're not leaving this house before it's sold - IF it ever gets auctioned - to rot in a good neighborhood... and it would fall apart, even without vandalism, because we're constantly fixing things for basic living still.) Or admit you can't foreclose and we'll fix it up a little more and sell it for whatever we can.

If they CAN'T foreclose because they know they can't prove they hold the loan, how would we go about achieving that? Thank you, in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: NY Foreclosure, bankruptcy, status of deed ownership mess...

Normally the process is (for your situation): 1) default and then 2) modification, then 3) fail mod, file BK to remove personal liability for repayment and then 4) bank has to f/c on the lien in order to get the collateral back. At the time of sale a Certificate of Title will be issued from you back to the bank. Then that is the end and you have to vacate immediately. Save up your funds to make a move. Each state has different time frames after the sale. Check your states statutes so you know.

You are in stage four.

You could continue to wait until the bank finishes their f/c and then move.

Or you could move now and start your life over in a rental while the bank continues their f/c.

Speak to an attorney about your specific situation.

Message 2 of 7
LieslMet

I know the normal process... that's why it's so maddening. 3.5 years ago, I thought there was no way we'd be able to spend Christmas 2010 in this house. Then I wasn't sure if we'd last summer 2011 so was it worthwhile to plant my garden. Then that Christmas and school year. Then the following Christmas and school year. The following Christmas and school year, etc. My problem is that it is NOT going through the normal process. The foreclosure clock has completely reset. We're not even at your Step 1, according to Ocwen. And they're not even sure of what they *think* we owe... 7% of the loan or 100%. PLUS, the lien that was on the deed has been paid. What I need to do, I guess, is go to the county clerk and see what - if - there are any liens on the deed/title still. And figure out what's legal for the new loan owner to do, considering that they're not allowed to collect and are still trying. And if they actually placed a lien on the deed, if there is one, legally... since the debt was paid. One would think FHA would own it, not Ocwen, since they're the ones who paid. Yet, that isn't the case. Ocwen says they bought out our loan from BOA. I called HUD about it and they said they had nothing to do with our house by loan or deed anymore. This is a crazy limbo that we're in. We've been ready to move for over 3 years, if it came to that.

Nothing is happening. Abandoning the house would be the absolute dumbest move to make... we'd be liable for upkeep, insurance, and have to pay rent elsewhere. The house would fall apart, as I've already posted.

Message 3 of 7
LieslMet

Apparently, our county has online records. Yay. The "grant" that paid for 12 months, through BOA, is actually a lien against the house by the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development... from May 2011. The only other lien is the original, through Countrywide in 2008. COUNTRYWIDE BANK FSB, MERS AS NOMINEE. There is nothing - neither on the deed nor as a lien - else on the property. 

The attorneys whom I've been directed to are idiots. They say to wait until Ocwen moves to foreclose... but they have said they are not pursuing foreclosure. They say only that they're our loan servicer. They know that they cannot legally collect it but won't move into foreclosure. Ocwen needs to $hit or get off the pot. I want to know HOW to get this situation nailed down. Can I get the Countrywide loan OFF, pay the H&UD lien, and sell this house? 

Message 4 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Ok, here is where you can do an end run.

With Ocwen it will be very frustrating - they are one of the worst servicers in the industry in my experience.

If you short sale the house you will at least put an end to this insanity because it sounds like Ocwen hasn't begun their f/c process yet, right?

With a short sale one of two things will happen: 1) they will get off their duffs and actually start the f/c process or 2) they will approve a short sale (with a reasonable price).,

My direct experience with Ocwen is that they RUSH to f/c when a short sale contract is submitted to them for approval Smiley Happy

Caution:  Get an experienced short sale agent that works with an attorney to complete the short sale. Hopefully the agent has experience with Ocwen,

You won't be able to bid on your own house (nor your friends or family members).

BTW, once the debt has been discharged in BK like your debt, you can not 'restart' the loan. Do consult an attorney of your choosing to help you through this - the banks attorney's represent the bank and not you.

Message 5 of 7
LieslMet

Ocwen has already said that they intend to collect the debt even though I KNOW they cannot. That they will not approve a short sale of under 80% (and frankly, higher than 60% is impossible) and will not do a deed-in-lieu. They're playing hardball with no good cards... I don't know what the heck they're thinking will happen. Now that I know about the lien from H&UD, maybe that, what they paid for the old debt, and the cost of taxes (NY - it's high), insurance, upkeep, AND to foreclose makes it more worthwhile to NOT foreclose. I get miscellaneous statements from them at least every other day.

What I think happened is that they didn't know the mortgage was discharged or was being discharged... perhaps BOA sold it just before their FHA claim went through? There's no lis pendens, from what I could see online, for the house at all.

I know some people will think I should just keep my mouth shut and thank my lucky stars that we get to live in a house with no payment and get to save it instead... but the stress of not knowing when anything will happen, not being able to plan living arrangements, not knowing whether it's worth it to replace x, y, and z thing, not knowing what district our kids will be going to school in, if out-of-state family can visit us for the next holiday, can I plant a garden and still be here to harvest it... it's all awful. At the rate they're going though, it might just be worth it to let them drag it out... and we can build on the land my parents are giving us. The average time, from first default to auction in NY is what? 3 years? 

Gah. I just don't know.

Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Your conversation with Ocwen is typical for Ocwen reps, like I said, the worst servicer out there.

Ocwen has an interesting way that they sell their f/c properties too after the CT has transferred. They use an auction site where they have an ownership interest and the contract is not at all buyer friendly.

Keep a record of all of your communication with them and theirs to you. Just in case.

The average f/c time in NY, according to RealtyTrac stats is 1033 days, but that article was written in July 2013. http://www.realtytrac.com/content/foreclosure-market-report/midyear-2013-us-foreclosure-market-repor...

You actually have all the cards because your debt is properly discharged in BK. The difficulty is that your financial recovery won't really begin until the foreclosure is finished from a mortgage POV. However, you should be able to stockpile cash in the meantime. They do have to notify you for the auction date. Here in Fl we have to be out within 30 days after the f/c sale.   Check your state to see if you have something similar. That way you can not have to have the constant worry about having to move without notice.

Some people vacate the property, but it is probably better to be in the property and maintaining it to some degree. The "property preservation companies" that the banks hire to maintain the property don't really do anything other than drive by and take photos. Naturally, it is up to you and if it is better for you to move on, then do that. Only you know the answer to that one.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.