Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal After Chapter 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal After Chapter 7

I'm likely going to file Chapter 7 since I'm struggling with debt.

I spoke with a attorney this morning but forgot to ask this question. I have a Navy Federal bank account(very little money, only active for truck loan). With my Navy Federal account, I have a vehicle loan that I'm going to reaffirm and continue to pay. I also have a Navy Federal credit card with $8500 on it. I was thinking about transfering $2500 to a different card before filing Chapter 7, and then seeing if the I could afford the payment to keep this card active and pay off. I want to do this to keep a good reputation with Navy Federal because they have amazing loan rates and this is who I would like to use for a future vehicle loan. If I choose not to do that, and have the credit card debt included with Chapter 7, would they close my entire account or just the credit card? I'm going to call them too but wanted to ask here as well. Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal After Chapter 7

Unfortunately, you would not be able to keep an unsecured account with a balance open through a Ch7. That would be considered "favoring" that creditor over other unsecured creditors. BK does not allow you to "play favorites". 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, thanks for the information. I will just reaffirm my vehicle loan and hope for the best with a loan down the road. I am going to call them to find out if my bank account will remain open. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may also want to speak with NFCU (and/or your attorney) about what they will do with your account. I have read differing accounts on these forums about BKers with NFCU. Credit unions are a little different than traditional banks and may or may not allow you to keep your deposit accounts open after you burn them. PSECU closed mine and will not allow me back in. Since you are reaffirming the car loan that may change the picture. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You may also want to speak with NFCU (and/or your attorney) about what they will do with your account. I have read differing accounts on these forums about BKers with NFCU. Credit unions are a little different than traditional banks and may or may not allow you to keep your deposit accounts open after you burn them. PSECU closed mine and will not allow me back in. Since you are reaffirming the car loan that may change the picture. 

Agree - you DEFINITELY need to speak with them and find out what their policies are regarding your complete situation.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.