Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy NFCU - Secured Card?

tag
DaUsMsB
Contributor

Navy NFCU - Secured Card?

I have read several places where it said the secured card would auto-graduate after a year.  I also read once or twice about it not auto graduating?  Has anyone reached the 12-13 month milestone yet and it graduate or not graduate?

I know mine is still secured because I go to the nRewards cards info and under "additional account information" on NFCUs site and it still shows "Secured nRewards Visa".  I've had this card since 5/2014.  My 1st payment was paid late may, but my 1st statement I believe was 6/17.  So today is basically my due date 14th statement and it still shows secured.  I was really hoping it would auto graduate...but it has not.  I have always been positive in my accounts and used the card monthly, and paid at least once a week...I've slowed down using it since December...but from May to Dec I know I ran 10k plus through it...even with it's measley $500 limit.

Just looking to see if anyone has any info on if it will graduate or not.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy NFCU - Secured Card?

Call them or send a secured message and ask if they will unsecure based on your good payment history.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 2 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

With NFCU I think it will auto graduate on the 13th statement and if it doesn't, I don't think it ever will. It is probably the late payment that stopped it. At this point you may have to apply for an unsecured card and close the secured card of approved. FYI my card auto graduated on the 13th statement and I was never late on it. Good luck!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 9
DaUsMsB
Contributor

Well ya, maybe i'll just hold on to it.  I guess my post was a little hard to understand lol.  It was not a late payment, the payment was just made towards the end of may...when I received the card in the middle of may.  The 1st statement should have been for 6/17/2014.  I paid online weekly, multiple times and never late with NFCU or any of my CC's. 

The only thing that hit past due was some student loans I wasnt aware of, but those are caught up now.  Would those have caused NFCU to maybe not auto graduate? I'm guessing it's probably not going to auto graduate now.

Message 4 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

@DaUsMsB wrote:

Well ya, maybe i'll just hold on to it.  I guess my post was a little hard to understand lol.  It was not a late payment, the payment was just made towards the end of may...when I received the card in the middle of may.  The 1st statement should have been for 6/17/2014.  I paid online weekly, multiple times and never late with NFCU or any of my CC's. 

The only thing that hit past due was some student loans I wasnt aware of, but those are caught up now.  Would those have caused NFCU to maybe not auto graduate? I'm guessing it's probably not going to auto graduate now.

I misunderstood sorry! Sounds like your 13th statement may be next month then. Wait it out, it will be worth the wait Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 9
soldierpr

HI 

Starting Score: 492-TU, 480-EX FICO , 495-EQ (06/12)

Current Score: 685-TU, 625-EX FICO , 675-EQ (02/15)

Goal Score: 700
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So did it auto graduate?

Message 7 of 9
DaUsMsB
Contributor

Yes Mine did finally auto graduate.  I was eagerly waiting around 13th and 14th month..I finally figured it wasnt going to...so I was like, let me put 300-400 on and slowaly pay 40-50 a month.  It was around 300ish balance out of 500.   I was just sitting on it, then it all of a sudden it was graduated.  It was approximately 18 months.  I didn't ask again, or apply...i just got a letter in the mail and saw it did.  Verified online and it was.  It was originally 500 and graduated and went to 1k.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is an old post.  I was denied for an unsecured card with NFCU last year and then broke down and did the secured card to get my foot in the door.  That was around June, in November I decided to apply for an unsecured card and got approved for 9,700 limit and a CLOC for 15k.  While it will be a while for my secured card to graduate I am sure that having established that card and a payment history (combined with DD and using them as my primary checking account) changed their opinion.  I share this for others who may be waiting for their card to graduate, you may be able to qualify (assuming your scores are ok) for an unsecured card before your secured graduates.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.