Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice!

Hello all,
I'm a newbie, sorta I fount this website a couple of months ago, and do research based on what my problems are, without ever posting anything. I recently was discharged from ch 7 6/11. My scores are relatively good, but if I would have known what I know now, I would have never of filed for BK, with minimal debt, but I thought it was the only way. Whats done is done, so I'm looking forward now. I would love to start a family with my husband and buy a home after our two year minimum waiting period, so I need some advice on what to do. Anything would be greatly appreciated (even any links you could share) of other stories on here.

My current status- a capital one credit card unsecured $1000 limit each for my husband and I. We then added each other as authorized users on both cards so we could piggyback off of each others credit cards. We pay in full two weeks before statement comes out and never spend more than $300 per card.

Husband just bought a vehicle through a credit union that I'm not sure is reporting to the credit bureaus, but he needed one none the less. Paid $7000 down, and make two payments per month. Would love to have it paid for in the next 9-10 months.

I have $24,000 in student loans paying on time now through consolidation, no issues.

A $3000 furniture payment paid in full in 4 months. Recently opened. New account also paying on time. Only reports to experian though.

Last baddie was 1 year four months ago (student loan). And we have been paying cash for everything since 06' due to credit reasons, so to say we learnt our lesson is an understatement.

Now our issues,
After turning 18, both of our parents has bad credit, no one to teach us the proper way to obtain and keep credit (had no clue of utilization, etc). Fell for the store credit card scam after we turned 18 immediately. One at Express, Vic Sec, NY & Company sold to collection agency, then filed in bk. Then a small $250 limit capital one, all charged off in bk. kays card charged off in bk. BMW lease $5000 had to let go back, (have no clue why they even let me obtain this loan), wow I wish I knew then what I know now!! A small personal loan (sun loan) also charged off. Student loans Sallie Mae over 12 negative issues, 120+ days late, was in school and did not know they were sending me payment letters, I thought as long as I was in school I wouldn't have to pay).

Husbands issues- capital one auto loan charged off $18000 and filed in BK same credit cards as mine listed above, and a sallie Mae student loan, sun loan $400 personal, capital one credit card $250. None of our former cards had more than. $300 limit. Another $1800 personal loan with auto collateral repoed.

Most should be coming off, but they aren't. Express was opened in 10/04, BMW 10/05, Sallie Mae 09/04. Etc, but they are listing them as longer bc we tried to make payments, but we're both in school and young, and was convinced as soon as we got married we would file bk together and a miracle would happen. Ha! Yeah right!

Our question is, where do we go from here. We want to buy a house badly, we have $12,000 saved up to pay down for one, but what do we need to do other than waiting to clean up our credit. Pay back creditors, offer them a settlement? Write good will letters, what do we need to say? I just wish we would have never of filed, and just offered to settle, but you can't cry over spilt milk. So in order to move forward, what's the next step? Can they even accept money from old accounts? We are just very unsure to all of this, and any info would be helpful. I know everyone is very busy, and I appreciate if you have continued to even read this novel, just let me know. This forum is truly amazing, thank you so much.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Advice!

@Anonymous wrote:
Pay back creditors, offer them a settlement? Can they even accept money from old accounts?

I'm not BK saavy so I'll defer to others, but if these accounts were included in the BK, you wouldn't pay them I wouldn't believe.

Other than time, remain on time from here going forward. Do not add any new credit. GW baddies.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Pay back creditors, offer them a settlement? Can they even accept money from old accounts?

I'm not BK saavy so I'll defer to others, but if these accounts were included in the BK, you wouldn't pay them I wouldn't believe.

Other than time, remain on time from here going forward. Do not add any new credit. GW baddies.

I had the same question about paying back IIB accounts.   I did a little research and was a little surpised.  I found that paying on those accounts IIB can open a can of worms and you can wind up being responsible for the original amount plus interest and fees for the interim period, which can - of course - be substantial.  Seems that things have changed over time.  I've heard stories of folks a few generations back who paid back every dime.

My advice is to move forward, rebuild, and do well.  It works fine.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

My suggestions would be to

1.  Save a regular amount in a special bank account each payday.   Then you can show the lender that you have been saving for 2 yrs.  If you can, you can pretend you already have a mortgage payment now and put that amount into the savings account.

2.  Let your cc report a small balance each cycle.  It will help your FICO score.

3.  Do NOT apply for any new credit in anyway, shape, or form!  That includes changing your cell phone plan, switching utility companies, or moving.  Stick it out.  This will show that you are in control of your finances and have longevity.  I mean, that you are more stable than you were when you filed for BK.   It is also less paperwork for the lender and you because you can show that your address has been the same for the last two years.

4.  It's great that you are paying down the vehicle loan and furniture loan quickly.   Consider paying extra on the student loans each month.  Make sure it's being applied to the principle only.   Several people have posted that their student loans balance (to the original loan amount) just killed them for getting credit.  So the more distance you can put towards the original loan consolidation amount the better.

5.  Make a house budget.  Figure out what it will cost for home owners insurance, property taxes, and a rough idea of maintenance.   Also get a feel for what you will quailfy for and what the monthly payment will be.   Then add in insurance/taxes plus 10%.   Make sure that amount is being put away each month.   Also get a feel for how much you will need for closing.   Set that as a target goal to save for, then add in at least two month's worth of mortgage payments, and there you go.

Your journey sounds exciting!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.