Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice

Last November I had a UTI and ended up having to get enlarged prostate surgery in January. The surgeon messed up going in and cut me in 2 spots which requied 2 follow up surgeries. I was catheterized for weeks. In January I was also diagnosed with untreated type 2 Diabetes. I went onto a whole foods plant based diet and brought my numbers back to normal levels in 2 months. In February (Between the 2 saurgeries I stumbled and fell into a wall and was knowcked unconscious for 6 minutes. I had amnesia for 3 days (I am still suffing from some memroy issues).. In April after the 2 surgeries I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder from a tear from the fall. In May I was still recuperating from all the stuff. I am a high school teacher & principal (Private School). The last semester I was only there 3 of the 18 weeks. In June I was having some serious issues with pain, muscle and weight loss. In July I was sent to the cancer treqtment center to see if I had marrow cancer. 2 weeks later they said I did not have cancer. THANK GOD! They did a full blood panel in August and discovered that the root of most of my issues was HyperThyroidism. I had lost 80% muscle mass and 60 pounds in 9 months. Now that I am being treated I have recovered 30 lbs and some muscle. The big thing for about 3 months was my inability to think. I was in a cloud for quite some time.

Now the school did not reopen because of lack of funding. I had no insurance and my wife works as a receptionist. We aquired a lot of debt and it doesn't look good for me to be employed for another 6 months.

I have decided to file a chapter 7. Since I have no income that will not be an issue for me. However, my wife will have about $40,000 this year. She has been paying on her cards until last month when we could no longer afford to and still feed our 3 kids.

So, I am trying to decide to do it individually or jointly...

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Russ

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice

@Anonymous wrote:

Last November I had a UTI and ended up having to get enlarged prostate surgery in January. The surgeon messed up going in and cut me in 2 spots which requied 2 follow up surgeries. I was catheterized for weeks. In January I was also diagnosed with untreated type 2 Diabetes. I went onto a whole foods plant based diet and brought my numbers back to normal levels in 2 months. In February (Between the 2 saurgeries I stumbled and fell into a wall and was knowcked unconscious for 6 minutes. I had amnesia for 3 days (I am still suffing from some memroy issues).. In April after the 2 surgeries I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder from a tear from the fall. In May I was still recuperating from all the stuff. I am a high school teacher & principal (Private School). The last semester I was only there 3 of the 18 weeks. In June I was having some serious issues with pain, muscle and weight loss. In July I was sent to the cancer treqtment center to see if I had marrow cancer. 2 weeks later they said I did not have cancer. THANK GOD! They did a full blood panel in August and discovered that the root of most of my issues was HyperThyroidism. I had lost 80% muscle mass and 60 pounds in 9 months. Now that I am being treated I have recovered 30 lbs and some muscle. The big thing for about 3 months was my inability to think. I was in a cloud for quite some time.

Now the school did not reopen because of lack of funding. I had no insurance and my wife works as a receptionist. We aquired a lot of debt and it doesn't look good for me to be employed for another 6 months.

I have decided to file a chapter 7. Since I have no income that will not be an issue for me. However, my wife will have about $40,000 this year. She has been paying on her cards until last month when we could no longer afford to and still feed our 3 kids.

Russ

WOW . . very sorry you have had such a rocky year!

While we'd need more information (such as all of your combined debts, whether or not you own a home, cars, etc.) it's really going to be an attorney that can best advise you.

Talk to a few. Consultations are free and this is a big decision to get right.

One thought . . .are you confident you're done incurring medical debt for a while? You'd be responsible for any new debt after filing, so you want to have as many of your health issues behind you as possible.

Message 2 of 6
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Russ

Is your no work for 6 months outlook purely physical recovery, or are you still having the memory issues?

I ask because many teachers are finding jobs in assessment development; and many assessment development companies have remote employment opportunities. An 8 hour day might still be a bit much for you, but if you can do it from a chair, at home, instead of walking around and dealing with kiddos, it might be an option to get you back to working earlier than expected.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, what a story and reminder that anyone can become disabled and/or down on their luck at any time in their life.

I agree to consult with 2-3 attorneys to start. Your wife's employer may have an EAP that can refer you. Did you have a teacher's union? (I know not likely at private) if so, join the retiree chapter and ask for their legal referral service, it will also be free and confidential.

I know coming into disability is frustrating and new and the money issues cannot be helping your stress levels. Your scores may tank (as mine did) if you wait too long after you stop making payments. However that may be a necessity if other pieces are not in place eg not incurring more debt, having a lawyer lined up, having their fee saved up in advance, having your medical issues mostly stable (at least not in and out of hospital) etc.

Wishing you luck.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Russ

WOW . . very sorry you have had such a rocky year!

While we'd need more information (such as all of your combined debts, whether or not you own a home, cars, etc.) it's really going to be an attorney that can best advise you.

Talk to a few. Consultations are free and this is a big decision to get right.

One thought . . .are you confident you're done incurring medical debt for a while? You'd be responsible for any new debt after filing, so you want to have as many of your health issues behind you as possible.

Combined Debts are ~ $35,000 in credit cards and ~ $40,000 student loans. ~$3,000 Medical

We own a home that we just bought last year.. no equity in it as of yet. The mortgage is cheapter than rent. Thankfully MN Medical Assistance has taken care of the majority of the medical bills.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess the real question is... I have had no income for about 6 months... So, I canceled my bank account 4 months ago and have not paid on any of my debts for about 3 months. However, my wife is working and paying bills. We have paid on her debt but at this point we are so far behind with our propane and electric we have to stop paying on her debt just to keep feed on the table and heat in our home.  At first I was the only one that was going to file because I was unemployed and the majority of the debt was in my name. But, her income is insufficient to carry her debt and pay for needed living expenses. So, we are thingking of doing a joint bankruptcy. What are the pros and cons of joint vs individual bankruptcy?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.