cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Cell Phone Now - Ch 7 BK discharged - who would give me one?

tag
homewardbound
Contributor

Need Cell Phone Now - Ch 7 BK discharged - who would give me one?

I had a Ch 7 BK discharged in June of 2007 and have since only opened one secured credit card through my bank which I have just received recently, so it has not yet had positive impact on my credit score.  My EQ score is 620 - this is the only score I know as of today. 

My issue:  I really need to get a cell phone for emergencies in my car.  I had a flat tire last week and it was terrible.  I had no phone to use to call for help.  I now realize I really need one.  I was going to go with the prepaid phone option because I think it's the only phone I can get, but it would be nice to have a contract with a phone company so that it can actually positively impact my credit scores (because I will most certainly pay my bills on time!).

Does anyone have advise or know if I can even get a phone contract?  Or should I just spend a lot more money to get a prepaid phone?

Thanks so much!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Cell Phone Now - Ch 7 BK discharged - who would give me one?

cell phone accounts do NOT report to credit bureaus to help your scores, unless you default and send you to collections.

however, they will check your credit, a hard inquiry, to qualify for either a service with or without a security deposit...if approved.

t-mobile will most likely have the most lenient in terms of letting you open an account.

also, if you decide to go prepaid, they also have the cheapest rate, i believe, which is 10 cents a minute.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon approved me for a family plan with up to five phones with no deposit while I was still in bankruptcy. Previous poster is right- they wont report unless you default on the contract.
Message 3 of 4
homewardbound
Contributor

Thanks a lot for the information.  I guess I will just decide if I want to have that inquiry on my report if I go with the contract.  I will definitely try T-Mobile.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.