Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a car loan after Chapter 7

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

Need a car loan after Chapter 7

I'm about 3 weeks post discharge. I apped an received a Credit One card and Indigo card, both unsecured. I applied for a Navy Federal Credit Union bank account and was approved. My Equifax on myfico is 630.

I have received several letters in the mail talking about post Chapter 7 car financing, but they are small dealerships, buy here pay here types. I went to Ford and they were thanks but no thanks. I am trying to get a cheap used car but only one dealer is willing to deal and they want $2000 up front, which I don't have.

My car was turned in last week, IIB.

Any advice on who might finance me for a car?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need a car loan after Chapter 7

Did you give the capital one auto navigator pre qual a try?
Message 2 of 8
shasta
Regular Contributor

Yes.

I burned them in bankruptcy so it was a NOGO

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So did we but we were approved six days post discharge. It's a prequal so it's a soft inquiry only can't hurt to try. Only difference is we were a ch 13.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was discharged 4/17, and just closed (9/17) on a car loan from Carfinance.com.  They were easy to work with, and the rate (6.8) makes me happy.  The process was straightforward, the documentation easy, and they approved a loan increase with an email.  I do have a great job and income, and so I am sure that helped.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shasta wrote:

I'm about 3 weeks post discharge. I apped an received a Credit One card and Indigo card, both unsecured. I applied for a Navy Federal Credit Union bank account and was approved. My Equifax on myfico is 630.

I have received several letters in the mail talking about post Chapter 7 car financing, but they are small dealerships, buy here pay here types. I went to Ford and they were thanks but no thanks. I am trying to get a cheap used car but only one dealer is willing to deal and they want $2000 up front, which I don't have.

My car was turned in last week, IIB.

Any advice on who might finance me for a car?

If you are in the pacific northwest, try Washington Auto Credit.

Message 6 of 8
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Did you try with Navy?

Message 7 of 8
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

As much as I even hate to mention this on here, but, Santander, maybe?  They, along with GM Financial, approved myself and wife several days post discharge with zero money down, required, but we dropped $1000 on each..  Rates were between 11 and 18% - but we paid extra and, refinanced them within six months, which was pleasant.

Also - is your credit report as accurate as can be?  Everything reporting correctly?  You got a bunch of hard inquiries fast, it seems, so, that may also hurt your chances for an "automatic" review, but, may take a dealer to "make some phone calls" to help you out.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.