Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BK Discharge, trying to grow

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New BK Discharge, trying to grow

Found this forum, and the 24months to 700 thread a couple months ago, right after I filed.  It intrigued me, I've never had control of my finances before.

When I was young and first married a series of bad decisions and bad situations started things off wrong. Then continued bad health, no insurance, under-insured, and poverty continued.  Finally, finally, I got a new career, then due to multiple medical garnishments couldn't pay my student loans, went into default, and paid off $80K in medical bills and student loans over 6 years.  

Then, good things started happening.  Divorced the ex-husband who would never sit down and discuss finances.  (At this point they became the biggest monster in the closet you could ever imagine.)  Then, a year later, I've filed bankruptcy, and for the first time ever I'm seeing FICO scores closer to 600 (both the ones I can readily see showed around 580 for a couple weeks).  One has had a temporary drop while one of our creditors with multiple accounts marked them all correctly, then marked them all open/unpaid, and now I'm waiting on a dispute.

The student loans are under $1000, currently $972, and I'm in the midst of a consolidation process.  With a standard repayment process, they are offering me 21 months at $50 per month, 6% interest.  It should report, my previous student loans have.  Will this be sufficient under the "other type of loan reporting" idea, along with a Capitol One card to work towards increasing my scores?

Also, many of those medical bills turned into judgements.  From what I've found, under Oregon law, judgements satisfied under bankruptcy should be discharged.

"the court shall enter a final order that the judgment be discharged and satisfied of record if the debtor establishes that:

(a)The debtor has been discharged from the payment of the judgment or the claim upon which the judgment was based;and

(b)Either there was no property to which a judgment lien had attached under ORS 18.150"

Would it be beneficial for my credit report long term to work on getting those removed, or does it even matter after bankruptcy?  (I'm honestly stumped and trying to figure out which forms to use to discharge them, I'm sure the court secretary would tell me how much it costs, but I've been trying to figure out the process.)  There are 7 total judgements still remaining, some of which I can't see the dates on Credit Karma, the 3 I can see dates on are 2012, 2013, 2014.  I know one of them is 2015 (after the divorce I also had a reposession, the interest rates were high, the car was high miles, I decided to file so I let it go).

Thank you all for the amazing advice you've provided in the past.  Reading through all these threads and the advice you've given to others is helping me to control of my credit and removing the "big monster" fear.  It's actually incredibly empowering to study, research, and come up with a plan!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New BK Discharge, trying to grow

Well...good news.  All the judgements are showing satisfied on the Equifax dispute site now (change in just a few days) and all the collections are reporting as paid.  Just waiting on one more dispute to clear up.  Yay!  

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New BK Discharge, trying to grow

@Anonymous wrote:

Well...good news.  All the judgements are showing satisfied on the Equifax dispute site now (change in just a few days) and all the collections are reporting as paid.  Just waiting on one more dispute to clear up.  Yay!  

Congrats!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.