cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Bank account opened today!

tag
SwipeToUnlock

New Bank account opened today!

I was beginning to get frustrated by my Chapter 7 situation. I had my creditor meeting in November. Had my Chex report cleared. 

I went to a local credit union to open a an account and was declined. It was only after speaking with the manager they reluctantly allowed me to join. 

But the catch is, my debit card only allows a daily limit of $300 which is annoying when I have to pay rent. I filled up the savings with my money from my AMEX prepaid card and decided to go with my dad to Chase

Brought all my Chapter 7 stuff wth my cleared Chex Report. Plopped it down on the finance agents - desk he looked through - asked for my info and 15 minutes later - I have a CHECKING account! I was so shocked! No manager involvment, nothing.

Im so excited. I'll keep my money in the local credit union for now and slowly move everything over to Chase since its a lot more flexible with their terms, etc.

YAY. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Bank account opened today!

Congrats:

IMO CUs will do you better over time, usually with much lower rates for credit products than banks. They may have been reluctant to let you in but if you treat them right they will treat you right as well. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

The OP did not state that there was a discharge. Don't know why the CU would not allow a checking account to be opened. That said, the CU will serive your interest much better over time than would Chase or any of the mega banks.

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@SwipeToUnlock wrote:

I was beginning to get frustrated by my Chapter 7 situation. I had my creditor meeting in November. Had my Chex report cleared. 

I went to a local credit union to open a an account and was declined. It was only after speaking with the manager they reluctantly allowed me to join. 

But the catch is, my debit card only allows a daily limit of $300 which is annoying when I have to pay rent. I filled up the savings with my money from my AMEX prepaid card and decided to go with my dad to Chase

Brought all my Chapter 7 stuff wth my cleared Chex Report. Plopped it down on the finance agents - desk he looked through - asked for my info and 15 minutes later - I have a CHECKING account! I was so shocked! No manager involvment, nothing.

Im so excited. I'll keep my money in the local credit union for now and slowly move everything over to Chase since its a lot more flexible with their terms, etc.

YAY. 

A daily limit of cash withdrawls or all together?

Message 4 of 6
SwipeToUnlock

@ezdriver wrote:

The OP did not state that there was a discharge. Don't know why the CU would not allow a checking account to be opened. That said, the CU will serive your interest much better over time than would Chase or any of the mega banks.

No discharge yet - coming in Jan. I was just following the ChexSystems thread where they all said to fax in your filing form and they'll remove all your negatives (which I did).

I somehow felt better with Chase since there wasn't an immediate decline and the need for a manager. (my ego!)

Message 5 of 6
SwipeToUnlock

a daily limit all togeht

@guiness56 wrote:

@SwipeToUnlock wrote:

YAY. 

A daily limit of cash withdrawls or all together?

A daily limit all together - was advised to go into the branch if more money was needed (like for rent).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.