cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New collection notice 2 months post bk7 dc

tag
tanyamc75

New collection notice 2 months post bk7 dc

Last week I received a notice from a collection agent for a health club I used to belong to in 2012. In October 2012 I contacted the club and had them cancel my automatic billing and sent them a letter to cancel my membership. I had already fulfilled my 12 month contract. I never heard anything again. Then 2 months post bk7 dc I receive a collection notice for nearly $700 from a CA. I was furious. I didn't include them in my bk7 case bc I didn't know I owed them! My case is a no assist case. I wrote them and told them that I dispute it, that I cancelled and sent them a copy of my discharge letter from bk. do you think this will work to get them to stop pursuing a d to avoid it hitting my Credit report?
Rebuilding
BK7 d/c 7/3/2013
TU: 623 (fako?) EX: 573 EQ: 529
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: New collection notice 2 months post bk7 dc

Was your letter to the club sent certified with retrun receipt and do you have proof of that along with the receipt that the club rep would have signed? If not, you are stuck with a new, delinquent account. Did you use an attorney for your bankruptcy? If yes, please consult them.

Message 2 of 5
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

If you have proof you cancelled, hopefully that's enough to get rid of it. If not, whether it was listed on your BK or not, the debt should still be discharged if you were a no asset 7. Wait and see what the response is to your letter. Your BK attorney may be able to help, but it may cost you extra, depending on your agreement with him/her. I would send him/her an email with copies of what you sent to the CA, and the CA's letter to you, and see what your attorney says.

When was your BK discharged?
Message 3 of 5
tanyamc75

I only have a copy of the letter I sent to cancel. I didn't send it certified mail..prob my dumb mistake. Regardless..I have not heard bsvk from the CA.

I used a lawyer and my bk was dc on 7/5/13. I got the notice from CA on 9/1/2013. I was in shock if I would have known I owed it I would have included it on the schedule. I am a no asset case.
Rebuilding
BK7 d/c 7/3/2013
TU: 623 (fako?) EX: 573 EQ: 529
Message 4 of 5
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Well, you sent the letter to the CA informing them of your BK. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on your credit reports. If it does show up on them, it should be easy to get them off.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.