Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here, a couple questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here, a couple questions

My BK discharge was July 2013, I wasnt very educated on any of it and didnt take advantage of all the email offers I received after bankruptcy, and didnt apply for CC's. Now that I'm trying to get a credit card I cant even get a Capital One card, they were on my bankruptcy for a $300 CC and $10K Auto loan. Basically I went downhill after I got out of the military in 2011, the VA took 3 years to grant me my 100% disability and my credit suffered all the while due to lack of being able to keep a job very long and owing $600 a month for child support while barely able to stay employed.

I have made some mistakes since bankruptcy, I owe arvest bank about $860 and it is in collections, I think this is partially keeping me from getting a CC too because when I tried to open a bank account with USAA they couldnt let me because of this, they did tell me to ahead and apply for a CC and if I was denied I would be offered a secured card, well I guess the rep didnt know what he was talking about because I applied expecting the denial to get me to a secured card, but it wouldnt even go that far because I owe Arvest bank.

I also signed up for lexington law yesterday but after doing more reading on sites like this one I panicked and cancelled their service today, I hope I made the right decision. I need ALOT of guidance right now I want to build my credit and get out of debt and I feel like I keep getting set back more and more.

I would like to know what I should do, as far as settling this debt and how to get a CC, and I dont think it will be Capital One, hopefully theres a different one I can get. Also is there any kind of legitimate credit repair I feel so incompetent after trying to do it myself and not even being able to access the online dispute pages anymore.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: New here, a couple questions

First off, credit repair is a joke. All they do is dispute accounts on your credit and hope they fall off. If the only thing you owe is an $860 account then just work with them directly to pay it off.

As far as credit cards, I've never had a secured card so I'm not sure where is best. I can tell you Credit One will generally give a credit card to anyone with a pulse. The rate is high and there is an annual fee, but starting over requires some investment...

Good luck!
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want a secured card, go for OpenSky. They do not pull a credit check and the minimums start at $200 to fund it. Realize, it can be a pain to add funds. You have to mail them a check if you want to increase your limit.

There is only a $29 annual fee as well and none of the predatory fees that CreditOne, FirstPremier have on their accounts. 

Good luck getting back on track!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are other things on my credit report, I would rather not have a secured card I just figured that was my only option, I thought I got denied for Credit One but I might be thinking of something else. I recently got denied for Capital One but Im assuming thats from my debt to arvest bank which I plan on paying off by settling if possible. Should I wait to apply for Credit One until I pay off the Arvest debt?

Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear of your situation and thank you for your service.

Given the situation as described in you op, I would explain the disability issue to the creditor and request a payment plan to pay off the debt. Unfortunately, a default after a bankruptcy discharge is a very big problem for creditors.

All the best to you and I hope that you have better days ahead.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.