Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor

Re: New to the forums. Trying to re establish after bankruptcy

[ Edited ]

ohnikki39 wrote:

Hello Shooting for 800

You are doing Fantastic 4 years out from bk. Did you include any of the companies you have now in your prior bankruptcy and they gave you another chance? I am praying that Capitalone lets me back in their good graces.

Actually, I burned Cap One but I had about 5 different accounts with them before that I had closed out with $0 balances over the years.

I never did any credit builder loans, secured cards, credit one or predeator cards.  

After my credit report was up to date, I apply for Cap One and got $3k unsecured, then another $3k then both went to $3.5k then $12.5k then a new $10k card, etc.

Cap One gave me a prequal car loan for 2.49% for 72 months with no money down on a brand new car (this varies based on how good the deal is - mine was a really good deal.)  This was AFTER I got declined for ANY car loan with $10,000 down at my local credit union.  Cap One did not even make me submit any paystubs.

Cap One just gave me my newest and best card - $30k at 13.99%

Like I said, they treat me great.  A lot of people complain about them, but they are comparing apples to oranges.

I make large payments WEEKLY.  I wait for my statement to be cut and pay 5-10 times my minimum the next day.  Then another chunk next week, etc.

Whatever it takes to not pay a penny of interest, I will do.

I could not ask for more from them with perfect credit let alone shakey credit.

Keep in mind, that I have not been a day late on any bill for any reason since my BK and I spent over $80k on my Cap One cards last year, so YMMV.

BUT - The fact is - it is possible to get real credit from a real company that does not rip you off.

I have no embarrasement slapping down my metal venture signature visa card at the store or restaurant.

Visa Siggy $30,000 ....... World MC $25,500 ....... Visa Siggy $23,750...........$3,300 ............. $1,800 ........... $17,000 ........... $6,000
Community Leader
Super Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Shooting-For-800 wrote:

ohnikki39 wrote:

Hello Shooting for 800

You are doing Fantastic 4 years out from bk. Did you include any of the companies you have now in your prior bankruptcy and they gave you another chance? I am praying that Capitalone lets me back in their good graces.

Actually, I burned Cap One but I had about 5 different accounts with them before that I had closed out with $0 balances over the years.

I never did any credit builder loans, secured cards, credit one or predeator cards.  

After my credit report was up to date, I apply for Cap One and got $3k unsecured, then another $3k then both went to $3.5k then $12.5k then a new $10k card, etc.

Cap One gave me a prequal car loan for 2.49% for 72 months with no money down on a brand new car (this varies based on how good the deal is - mine was a really good deal.)  This was AFTER I got declined for ANY car loan with $10,000 down at my local credit union.  Cap One did not even make me submit any paystubs.

Like I said, they treat me great.  A lot of people complain about them, but they are comparing apples to oranges.

I make large payments WEEKLY.  I wait for my statement to be cut and pay 5-10 times my minimum the next day.  Then another chunk next week, etc.

Keep in mind, that I have not been a day late on any bill for any reason since my BK and I spent over $80k on my Cap One cards last year, so YMMV.

BUT - The fact is - it is possible to get real credit from a real company that does not rip you off.

I have no embarrasement slapping down my metal venture signature visa card at the store or restaurant.

How long after the BK discharge did they approve you? They generally auto decline for 12 months after Cap One account is charged off, but some people seem to fall through the cracks. Were you current with them when you filed? Also, how long was it before you got the low interest auto loan and what were your scores at the time?

Most Recent FICO 8 Scores EX571/TU508/EQ560 10/03/2017 Starting scores 553/485/543 08/25//2017
~~~Credit lines~~~~
SDFCU VISA Secured $250
Discover Secured $200
Established Contributor

NormanFH wrote:

Shooting-For-800 wrote:

ohnikki39 wrote:

Hello Shooting for 800

How long after the BK discharge did they approve you? They generally auto decline for 12 months after Cap One account is charged off, but some people seem to fall through the cracks. Were you current with them when you filed? Also, how long was it before you got the low interest auto loan and what were your scores at the time?

Got approved for $3k within 60 days of discharge.

I was not current when BK filed, actually two years behind.  I tried to do everything I could for years to not file before I finally had to file.

Got approved for second $3k within a few months of first one.

Within the first 2 years, I had 5 Cap One cards.  Closed the ones that would not grow.  Once my credit got much better, I opened up a QS for $10k, then another, then combined some cards, etc.

Auto loan was 2.5 years after BK and my score was about 675 by that time.  I should also disclose that I had put $200k through my Cap One cards by that time.

It was for my wife who gets a car allowance from her job.  I drive a 10 year old car still.

Visa Siggy $30,000 ....... World MC $25,500 ....... Visa Siggy $23,750...........$3,300 ............. $1,800 ........... $17,000 ........... $6,000

Your recovery is amazing. I discharged in July and Capital One still wont touch me but looking at your post gives me hope. Thanks for the info!

Established Contributor

ohnikki39 wrote:

Your recovery is amazing. I discharged in July and Capital One still wont touch me but looking at your post gives me hope. Thanks for the info!

Thanks.  I think 6 months is the magic timeline for many.  Hang in there.

Community Leader
Super Contributor

Shooting-For-800 wrote:

NormanFH wrote:

Shooting-For-800 wrote:

ohnikki39 wrote:

Hello Shooting for 800

Got approved for $3k within 60 days of discharge.

I was not current when BK filed, actually two years behind.  I tried to do everything I could for years to not file before I finally had to file.

Got approved for second $3k within a few months of first one.

Within the first 2 years, I had 5 Cap One cards.  Closed the ones that would not grow.  Once my credit got much better, I opened up a QS for $10k, then another, then combined some cards, etc.

Auto loan was 2.5 years after BK and my score was about 675 by that time.  I should also disclose that I had put $200k through my Cap One cards by that time.

It was for my wife who gets a car allowance from her job.  I drive a 10 year old car still.

Ahh - so it would actually have been charged off long before the BK, so you were actually long past the 12 month blackout.

Thank you for the details... Helps me develop my recovery plan

Most Recent FICO 8 Scores EX571/TU508/EQ560 10/03/2017 Starting scores 553/485/543 08/25//2017
~~~Credit lines~~~~
SDFCU VISA Secured $250
Discover Secured $200
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

NP - But I know that there are others on this board than were not blacked out for a year.

Try calling them, maybe they will just tell you.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Shooting-For-800 wrote:

NP - But I know that there are others on this board than were not blacked out for a year.

Try calling them, maybe they will just tell you.

I tried apping for their secured coard - got auto-denied with no credit report pull for having a previously unpaid delinquent Cap One account. I'll just wait until my BK anniversary hits and try then. Inn the meantime I have two secured cards and Ill have a share secured loan set up soon. 

~~~Credit lines~~~~
SDFCU VISA Secured $250
Discover Secured $200

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.