Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordstrom card after BK

tag
tallin32
Valued Member

Nordstrom card after BK

Does anyone know the wait time before Nordstrom will approve you for at least their store card after a bankruptcy?  Normally I don't do store cards, but living in Seattle, Amazon credit is almost as good as cash, and working for Nordstrom's e-commerce side, I get a significant discount that can't be used with third party credit cards.

Current cards:
  • Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Platinum (NPSL)

• Amex Green (NPSL)

• Amex Platinum for Schwab (NPSL)

• Amex BCP ($10,000)

• Delta SkyMiles Reserve ($19,000)

• Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant ($10,000)

• Hilton Honors Aspire ($3,700)

• Amex Blue Business Plus ($15,000)

• Bill World Elite MC ($10,000)

• Citi Custom Cash ($4,000)

• Capital One World Elite Mastercard ($4,300)

• Mercury Mastercard ($3,650)

• Discover IT ($3,300)

• Apple Card ($5,750)

• NFCU Flagship Rewards ($11,000)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Nordstrom card after BK

I got a $2500 store card in December with scores in the 680 range... roughly 18 months after my BK13 discharge.  I normally don't do store cards either but this one can be easily converted to a VISA after 6-12 months.

Your scores in your sig might be a little low... just a wild guess though.

I'm also in Seattle and also bank with BECU.  Small world? 

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 10
collics1
Established Member

My sister was discharged bk7 in Oct i think.

She's got a Nordstrom card about a month ago.

Her score is less than 650. Limit is low tho.

Discharged 5/6/14
Current EQ FICO Score:620 (Nov '14)
Approvals: As of May
Cap1- $300, Cap1- $500, AutoLoan
Message 3 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@collics1 wrote:

Did she have them in her Bk? I had them in my bk for $2k and have been leery about applying again.

Message 4 of 10
collics1
Established Member

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@collics1 wrote:

Did she have them in her Bk? I had them in my bk for $2k and have been leery about applying again.

No unfortunately. We don't even have a Nordstrom where we live.

Discharged 5/6/14
Current EQ FICO Score:620 (Nov '14)
Approvals: As of May
Cap1- $300, Cap1- $500, AutoLoan
Message 5 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@collics1 wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@collics1 wrote:

I will tell you right now that if you apply your app will auto decline in store at register or online with your SSN and the old derog acct, because that what I was told from corportate Credit.  I had to go thru the EO to get them to reopen a new acct for me, and they were IIB in 2013. But I was successful and they gave me a SL of $500, and told me to call back after 7 months of use and payments for a CLI..

Message 6 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@pizza1 wrote:

@collics1 wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@collics1 wrote:

I will tell you right now that if you apply your app will auto decline in store at register or online with your SSN and the old derog acct, because that what I was told from corportate Credit.  I had to go thru the EO to get them to reopen a new acct for me, and they were IIB in 2013. But I was successful and they gave me a SL of $500, and told me to call back after 7 months of use and payments for a CLI..

Thank you Pizza1.  Did you have a Ch 7 or Ch 13 and did you voluntarily pay them off after Bk before you applied?

Message 7 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@collics1 wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@collics1 wrote:

Thank you Pizza1.  Did you have a Ch 7 or Ch 13 and did you voluntarily pay them off after Bk before you applied?

They were IIB in 2013, BK7 for around $800.  I apped online and in store and both times the register immediately denied and gave me a number to call.  If you have a an old acct that was defaulted on, youre automatically flagged in their system with your SSN, and the system wont even pull a report. I called EO, and talked with the EO of credit services, told her my storey, apologized for the IIB acct, and asked for reconsideration. She sent me to the VP of Credit servies, who at that point DID pull my reports, and approved me for a new card and $500 sl. I had to go thru some hoops, because you will have a hard time getting it reopened thru regular credit dpepartment especially of it was IIB.  I did not offer at all to pay them back. In BK7, you dont have too, andI will not in order to have a card again. I was lucky

Message 8 of 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

They were IIB in 2013, BK7 for around $800.  I apped online and in store and both times the register immediately denied and gave me a number to call.  If you have a an old acct that was defaulted on, youre automatically flagged in their system with your SSN, and the system wont even pull a report. I called EO, and talked with the EO of credit services, told her my storey, apologized for the IIB acct, and asked for reconsideration. She sent me to the VP of Credit servies, who at that point DID pull my reports, and approved me for a new card and $500 sl. I had to go thru some hoops, because you will have a hard time getting it reopened thru regular credit dpepartment especially of it was IIB.  I did not offer at all to pay them back. In BK7, you dont have too, andI will not in order to have a card again. I was lucky

That may work with Nordstrom but I doubt it will fly with lenders like AmEx and Chase who have very long memories.

I'm pretty sure you didn't include NFCU either... because ALL CU's have very long memories and don't forgive if you burn them.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

That may work with Nordstrom but I doubt it will fly with lenders like AmEx and Chase who have very long memories.

I'm pretty sure you didn't include NFCU either... because ALL CU's have very long memories and don't forgive if you burn them.

True...and it didnt "may" work with Nordies, it DID work LOL..

and Amex, I dont need to worry about, they werent IIB. now Chase on the otherhand...that one will be tricky, but we shall seeeeeee, as I plan to app for the freedom in 2 yrs, expecting to recon as wellSmiley Wink

I also Never had Navy...Got them 2 months afrer DCSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.