Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not going through with it...attorney ignoring me

tag
Nik2010
Valued Member

Not going through with it...attorney ignoring me

Just wanted to vent.  I've decided to not go through with my bankruptcy case.  The attorney was all paid up a while ago.  They've done a little work on it, but nothing too time consuming.  I've been contacting him to let him know that I want to drop it, and would like what fees are left that they haven't used yet...but man I'm getting ignored.  Has anyone gone through this before?  I haven't even given them the paperwork with all my creditors listed, etc., so there wasn't much work done on it.  Shouldn't they give me back some portion of the fees, along with the filing fee?  Just getting annoyed...it's been a couple weeks and they haven't returned any calls or emails.

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 704
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
softballgirl29
Valued Member

Re: Not going through with it...attorney ignoring me

I would try to find out exactly where your case is as far as filing goes because if the bankruptcy has already been filed then it is going to be on your credit report for the next 7-10 years depending on what chapter you filed. Even if the case is not discharged, you will now have a BK on your report. I would suggest seeing another attorney and getting their opinion, most have free consultations.

BK7 Filed 5/14/12 BK7 Discharged 8/17/12
Latest EQ Fico - 651 Latest TU Fico - 632 Latest EXP FAKO - 651
In my wallet: Cap One CL $250, Cap One Rewards CL $2750, Credit One CL $1350, NFCU CL $14k, HH Gregg CL $1800, Care Credit CL $1000 Express CL $1050, Victoria Secret CL $2450, Kohl's CL $300, Discover IT $1000, Barclay Rewards $2000, Target $2000, TJ Maxx $300, Ashley Furniture $2000 Cap One Auto Loan $25k
Message 2 of 5
Nik2010
Valued Member

Nothing has been filed...I hadn't even finished filling out the forms where I list my creditors, so they haven't really done anything yet.

Message 3 of 5
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

I've got to say, that if you can afford to just "drop it" and not file - than you probably never should have been filing in the first place.  

I would request you fees back and hire a different attorney.  One that will walk you through the process on the spot and take some time with you.  My attorney was with me every step of the process and available via email or phone at any time for any questions.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 4 of 5
Nik2010
Valued Member

I'm in a much better position financially now (better paying job) and would much rather clean my credit on my own via paying, settlements, etc. than go through bk. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.