cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK to apply for new credit once PACER shows discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK to apply for new credit once PACER shows discharge?

If PACER is showing me as discharged, is it OK to apply for credit? Or do I need to wait for my credit reports to reflect the discharge? Capital One is showing prequalified for Platinum/QS1. Credit reports already cleaned up for the most part. While I'm not in a rush to USE the credit, I am a bit anxious to get the cards to begin the rebuilding.

Has anyone applied for card(s) the same day (or 1-2 days later) as the discharge was entered into PACER?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Metsfantransplant
Valued Member

Re: OK to apply for new credit once PACER shows discharge?

You're good to go once PACER shows the discharge. That's actually where I printed off my discharge papers so I could go get a car. I needed one immediately and didn't want to wait for the letter in the mail. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something to consider is that you may have some of your accounts that have not updated correctly. I would check your report to make sure you can get the best terms possible. Good luck on your journey!

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprisingly, by now, all but 1 account appear to have properly updated. The lone remaining one is supposed to be corrected this week.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I get to a pacer? Sorry ppl... I'm soooo new at this?
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pacer = Public Access to Court Electronic Records

Go to the following, "WWW.pacer.login.uscourts.gov"

Find your BK court by state, to create a new access account (User name/Password)

You will need to to create sign- In, have your BK court number, or you can find it by your SS #

They may ask for a CC # if you want to download a "lot of copies",  but for a non-lawyer they will not charge anything unless you print out over a high amount.

You will be able to see all fillings, and some of the backroom stuff that (Your) lawyer may not copy you on. Documents, Trustee reports, court orders and communication from any of your creditors, .....

I was discharged in April 2015, awaiting for the case to be closed

I have found it helpful to track the process of my case, Good Luck

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. Thanks 😊
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Argh. I have my discharge in hand from PACER but I've been trying to wait for my reports to reflect the discharge before applying. None have updated yet. I'm worried that any of the newly approved accounts might be closed once my report reflects the discharge, although I haven't been able to find any instance of that happening to anyone.

It's so hard to wait!!!!

Message 8 of 16
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Argh. I have my discharge in hand from PACER but I've been trying to wait for my reports to reflect the discharge before applying. None have updated yet. I'm worried that any of the newly approved accounts might be closed once my report reflects the discharge, although I haven't been able to find any instance of that happening to anyone.

It's so hard to wait!!!!

Can I ask where you are looking at your reports? I would be pretty surprised if the d/c wasn't showing yet.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I refreshed my reports on CreditKarma this morning. Still shows the filing under public records, but nothing has changed/updated to reflect discharge.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.