Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the other side...and it's good so far

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the other side...and it's good so far

Received my discharge 1 week ago. A day after discharge I was able to get a Cap 1 platinum (no deposit - 500 CL), a new car loan 22k at 13%, and a secured Discover card (500 CL). I burned Cap 1 but not Discover. I was denied the Discover cash back and the Quicksilver (would not have applied but pre-qual said I had a good shot). Because I do not want any more inquires I stopped there. Question, which card should I run my daily spend through? My goal is homeownership in 2 years. Discover has the 1% cash back which is not much but is something and should graduate but the CLs I've seen is small compared to what I've seen with Cap 1. Credit card wise I'm looking for high limits combined with cash back. I know I need 3 credit cards, but, I'm willing to wait a bit to ensure I'm not stuck with secured cards or paying high fees. My goal is ultimately the Fidelity cash back card, QS1 and a 3rd. I'm a member of NFCU, but, they denied my car loan app so I did not apply for any of their cards. I did have their secured card which was in good standing before the BK. Any feedback is helpful!!! Thanks everyone as without this community, I would have been lost going through this process.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: On the other side...and it's good so far

@Anonymous wrote:
Received my discharge 1 week ago. A day after discharge I was able to get a Cap 1 platinum (no deposit - 500 CL), a new car loan 22k at 13%, and a secured Discover card (500 CL). I burned Cap 1 but not Discover. I was denied the Discover cash back and the Quicksilver (would not have applied but pre-qual said I had a good shot). Because I do not want any more inquires I stopped there. Question, which card should I run my daily spend through? My goal is homeownership in 2 years. Discover has the 1% cash back which is not much but is something and should graduate but the CLs I've seen is small compared to what I've seen with Cap 1. Credit card wise I'm looking for high limits combined with cash back. I know I need 3 credit cards, but, I'm willing to wait a bit to ensure I'm not stuck with secured cards or paying high fees. My goal is ultimately the Fidelity cash back card, QS1 and a 3rd. I'm a member of NFCU, but, they denied my car loan app so I did not apply for any of their cards. I did have their secured card which was in good standing before the BK. Any feedback is helpful!!! Thanks everyone as without this community, I would have been lost going through this process.

Don't worry so much about the rewards right now. Just let one of those cards report a small balance of like $10 each month. (see BK to 700 thread.) A cash diet for a while will be good for you. While you're on it, build an emergency fund, and get that car loan under control. You will want to throw significant amounts of extra $$ on it to save on interest now and get ready for your refinance.  Getting that balance down is also going to help your scores grow.

If you didn't burn Navy in your BK, they seem to like about a year post discharge for unsecured products.

Don't apply for anything else for at least 6 months.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: On the other side...and it's good so far

Thanks for the advice!! I didn't even take into consideration paying down the car loan but that makes sense. I will review the BK to 700 post again. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.