Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One week later

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One week later

One week post filing and my scores which dropped lower than I've ever seen have started to rebound.  The car dealership letters are filling up my mailbox already. I called one of them and just inquired what the apr would be for a 2015 Kia.  He told me 19%.  Need less to say I will be waiting to purchase a car.  That is just crazy. I enjoy all the advice on this forum and appreciate all who contribute.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: One week later

I wouldn't apply for any new credit... be it cards or auto loans until you have discharge in hand.

Others may say "it's ok to start rebuilding after your 341 meeting yada yada yada" but I wouldn't risk the potential trouble with the trustee... who isn't your friend and is only looking out for the best interests of your creditors.

My free advice for the day.

Regarding the auto loan, I can tell you I applied for a car loan a couple days after my Ch 13 discharge in 2013... and ALL of the approvals I got said the same thing... "approval conditional upon proof of discharge" due to the fact my CRs hadn't updated yet.

All the more reason to wait.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 5
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

I wouldn't apply for any new credit... be it cards or auto loans until you have discharge in hand.

Others may say "it's ok to start rebuilding after your 341 meeting yada yada yada" but I wouldn't risk the potential trouble with the trustee... who isn't your friend and is only looking out for the best interests of your creditors.

Regarding the auto loan, I can tell you I applied for a car loan a couple days after my Ch 13 discharge in 2013... and ALL of the approvals I got said the same thing... "approval conditional upon proof of discharge" due to the fact my CRs hadn't updated yet.

+1 !!!

TRC took the words out of my mouth. 

Message 3 of 5
jim44
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

+1 !!!

TRC took the words out of my mouth. 

+1 too.  TRC_WA nailed it!   The farther away you are from your discharge if you do it right, the better the APR for any car loan!  The best of luck with your journey! 

Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I did an auto loan refi 10 months after ch7 discharge and the rate went from 22% to 5%. It's worth the wait ... closer to 12 months post DISCHARGE.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.