Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One year down!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One year down!

I am noticing your payment history is showing an "A", which is a problem area for most individuals having claimed BK.  Are you able to share a little more about your BK and when/how you were able to show a positive payment history?  Perhaps that will turn around much quicker than anticipated, but I was under the impression payment history would be a bad grade for a few years after discharge.

Message 21 of 27
sylviagarcia
Regular Contributor

Question: you mention u have 2 CapOne cards and they had already approved you for a venture the month before... Does CapOne just send u pre-approval Letters or do you have to apply?.
Message 22 of 27
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes that is what my letter said. I called to inquire about a time frame but they wouldnt give me one. I filed 7/4/2014 so I will try again mid month to see if I pre-qualify for any offers. Still a no go so far. Where you pre-qualified for the second venture also? Or did you just try for it? I was approved for a Kohls card I shop there frequently but they are also backed by Capital One so I am hoping it will help with them letting me back in also!

I was prequal'd for Both Venture, Quiksilver and then the second Venture.   No way was I going to try another 3HP pull for that if I had no change of getting approved. 

Message 23 of 27
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am noticing your payment history is showing an "A", which is a problem area for most individuals having claimed BK.  Are you able to share a little more about your BK and when/how you were able to show a positive payment history?  Perhaps that will turn around much quicker than anticipated, but I was under the impression payment history would be a bad grade for a few years after discharge.

My payment history *was* horrible prior to bankruptcy, due to loss of income, illness and wrong priorities.   (I am a big techie, so I'd buy stuff I didn't need like computer stuff when I should have used it to pay off debt instead.) 

My situation has changed since 2012, I have a stable income now and have gotten a grasp on my finances.  Before, I didn't know where I was going to get the money to pay rent or my bills.   Now that's not a problem. 

Since most of my bad items post-bk were collections anyway, they were all mostly removed.  Only one still remains, from an apartment complex who tried to do a whole remodelling job and make me pay for it after I left.   (That wasn't going to happen, sadly.. since it was IIB'd)

I have not been late since my rebuild and have paid in full before statements generate, minus about $5-10. That's generally what I've done.  I keep one card in my wallet and the the rest locked away.  I have them to help with rebuild, but I don't intend to have balances on more than one card at a time, and I will pay it off before I ever use any other card. 

I think I got a little excited over Venture card, but have decided to chill with the applications.  I have 20 Inqs, mostly from BCU, Barclays and Capital One.  They will fall off by the time I ever apply for any other credit, so I'm not too worried.  I am sitting back and letting my accounts age.

I haven't felt the effects yet of closing my oldest credit card, Credit One, since I got it last July and closed it this July.  I imagine I'll take a temprary hit for closing it, but I had enough non-horrible cards to justify closing a card and taking the temporary hit. 

It was reminded to me today that you shouldn't obsess over trying to get an 800 score.  A score of 720 qualifies for the best rate anyway.  So keep that in mind when you make a goal.  Don't make yourself go nuts and preoccupy yourself by constantly trying to make changes to get an 800+ score.  It would be nice, but concentrate on good credit practices.  Get those down, and let your profile build up.  That will eventually lead to high 700 scores and even 800s. 

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the open reply, appreciate it!  Well done up to this point and good luck from here!

Message 25 of 27
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

I seem to have 3x my available credit since this post, but my credit score seems to have stayed that same.  So That probably means I opened too much credit at one time-- beed to let it all age and let the INQs fall off..

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing Taoron. It's always good to see those ahead of me in the process. Helps  me see my road ahead. Keep up the good work!

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.