Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online savings accounts post BK

tag
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

Online savings accounts post BK

If i open a savings account with a bank that was included in my CH 7 BK 10 + yerars ago . Can they take those funds that were discharged out of my savings? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Online savings accounts post BK

Don't think so.  The debt was discharged.

They can blacklist you from loans and CC products though until you (voluntarily) pay the debt back.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 6
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

How long do they black list for?

Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@joeblow2 wrote:

How long do they black list for?

Depends on the bank. I had a large Bk and had about a little over $600K discharged just through Chase (not including the others such as WF and BOA etc). Chase has my checking and savings accounts and there are no issues. However, they don't want to issue any more credit to me until my 10 years is up...I totally get it.
Message 4 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yeah, depends on the bank. I burned Cap One for almost $20k in BK7 discharged in 01/11 and they approved me for a CC with 10k limit this fall. Citi bank was one of my biggest creditors and I have a Best Buy MC originally with HSBC, Citi took it over a year ago. They approved doubling my CL this fall for the BB MC, but when I tired their pre-qualifier recently they said they didn't have a CC for me.

And once your BK is discharged they can't make any attempt to collect the debt, they can't touch your bank accounts.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not open a new savings account with a CU, this way when you need credit in the future you have already establish a relationship with them. CU's are typically much better than the bank on rates for loans etc.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.