cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a checking account during chapter 13?

tag
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Opening a checking account during chapter 13?

Hello, I was thinking about opening a checking account with BofA. I had credit cards that i listed in my bankruptcy with them but no checking or savings account? If I opened an account with them would they be able to keep the money I put in? Is there a website I can go to get more info? Thanks.
Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Opening a checking account during chapter 13?

I would NOT advise going with BofA.

Basically, all of the agreements/notices I have seen with them state that they can change the terms at any time, with no reason, with no notification.   Thus, they can empty out your bank accounts to pay the debt.

Is it worth taking the chance? 

Message 2 of 10
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

Actually I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to remove funds from an account without authorization....... and while you are in BK, creditors have to cease collection activities anyway.

I currently have a BoA account that I opened after settling a CC debt with them - but if you have any concerns, I agree that you should just look at another bank.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.
Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA cannot take money if they are listed in BK.  However, they probably won't open an account for you either.

Once you are in BK, creditors may not collect the debt except as outlined in the BK 13 payment plan.  If 7, then the debt is legally discharged and not owed any longer.

Message 5 of 10
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response Txtjon.

Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 6 of 10
Beautifull
New Contributor

Believe1970 

I filed Chap 7 in Sep 09 and opened a checking account with them in October 09.

I had a old checking account that had a balance of $760 with them from 2003 that was listed as IIB.

I have not had any problems with them taking any funds from my account.

Beautifull

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 3/14/2010 EQ 647 TU 637
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
TigerCat
Valued Member

I would also advise against opening an account with BofA in this situation. Your funds will be protected as long as you are still in the Chapter 13 plan. However, if you defaulted for some reason and the Trustee dismissed your case, they might be able to get at your account. So with so many options out there, why take the risk? I would say cut ties and move on somewhere else.
Message 8 of 10
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response.
Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TigerCat wrote:
I would also advise against opening an account with BofA in this situation. Your funds will be protected as long as you are still in the Chapter 13 plan. However, if you defaulted for some reason and the Trustee dismissed your case, they might be able to get at your account. So with so many options out there, why take the risk? I would say cut ties and move on somewhere else.

If your BK gets dismissed mid-cycle, you got bigger problems than if BoA might take a few bucks out of your checking!  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.