Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF or leave very small balance?

tag
vtguy25
Contributor

PIF or leave very small balance?

Alright I am kind of confused I have been paying my cards in full because I don't want to pay any interest, but I have read that leave a very small balance is good as long as it is under 9%..... Looking for advice I just want to do whatever is going to bump my score the fastest right now I sit with a 629 from EQ and my two goals are to refi my car with DCU and I really would like to get a berclays CC.  Looking for any suggestions!! Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CWESTL
Regular Contributor

Re: PIF or leave very small balance?

It is possible to PIF monthly while also having a balance of 9% or less reporting on your credit reports. The statement balance must be PIF by the due date in order to avoid interest charges. However, purchases made after a statement closes aren't due to be paid until the following statement is produced. These charges aren't assessed interest fees unless you fail to PIF by the due date of the following statement. The purchases made after your statement will be reported as your new balance despite you having PIF the previous balance. 

Chapter 7 Discharge Aug 2013 (Removed 2022 & 2023)
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 8 840
Jan 2024 TU FICO 8 779
Jan 2024 EX FICO 8 788
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 9 824 AMEX Cash Magnet $26K; AMEX Platinum NPSL, POT $27.5K; Cap One QS World MC $11k; Cap One Venture Sign VS $30k; Chase Sapphire Pref $18K; Citi Simplicity $7K; NFCU AMEX Rwds $28k; NFCU VS Sign Cash Rwds $24.1k; NFCU Plat VS $19k; Wells Fargo Reflect $25K; Mercury (previously Barclay Rwds MC) $5750k; Lowes $35k; Neiman Marcus $44k; Discover It $11.5k; Discover It $19.5K; Venmo Visa Sign $20K; Barclaycard (AU) $25.5K; Discover (AU) $19.5k New Mortgage Jan 2016 & Nonreaffirmed Mortgage Refinance Nov 2020; HELOC @ 2.75% Apr 2022; New Auto July 2017; NFCU LOC $20K
GOAL 820 FICOs on ALL 3 CRs by JANUARY 2025.
AMEX Lowes Business $25K
AMEX Business LOC $25K
Chase Ink Business Unlimited $26.5K; US Bank Business Platinum $10K
Message 2 of 4
vtguy25
Contributor

I understand how interest works I am just wondering if it is better for there to be balance showing under 9% or a zero balance because I paid in full and there would be no balance reported......

Message 3 of 4
collics1
Established Member

I don't think you understood what the other poster explained.

I'll do my best as I work for WF credit cards.

Example.

Your cc has a statement/billing end date. Let's just say it's the 30th of each month. On the stmt end date is when WF reports the credit card info to each agency.

Your due date for the charges until the 30th let's say is the 15th of the next month. You PIF by that date to avoid interest.

So....as long as by the 30th you did not have over your 9-10% utilization that is what is being reported.

And as long as you pay it by the due date in full you are not charged interest.

Therefore, you have done both of those things.

Discharged 5/6/14
Current EQ FICO Score:620 (Nov '14)
Approvals: As of May
Cap1- $300, Cap1- $500, AutoLoan
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.