Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CC denial, but did pick up a $500 credit line

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed CC denial, but did pick up a $500 credit line

11 months post BK discharge. I joined the Navy League San Diego so I could join NFCU. I noticed they also had perks so you you can join PenFed and USAA as well. I wanted to try for a PenFed card in 6-9 months but finding out they have to do a hard pull just to open an account I figured I may as well just see if they could use the same report and try for the card. They pulled Equifax which is my lowest score (594) and I got denied, however she did say if I opened a checking account I would qualify for a $500 LOC which does report the bureaus. Bottom line is I was able to become a member of PenFed, was denied a credit card but did pick up a $500 LOC so not a total loss and down the road as my scores rebound I will add their card to my garden.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed CC denial, but did pick up a $500 credit line

What font/language are you typing in?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Symbol

Message 3 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

11 months post BK discharge. I joined the Navy League San Diego so I could join NFCU. I noticed they also had perks so you you can join PenFed and USAA as well. I wanted to try for a PenFed card in 6-9 months but finding out they have to do a hard pull just to open an account I figured I may as well just see if they could use the same report and try for the card. They pulled Equifax which is my lowest score (594) and I got denied, however she did say if I opened a checking account I would qualify for a $500 LOC which does report the bureaus. Bottom line is I was able to become a member of PenFed, was denied a credit card but did pick up a $500 LOC so not a total loss and down the road as my scores rebound I will add their card to my garden.

I recently joined PENFED through my Navy League membership. I like them so far. Once that score gets up closer tp 650, try again with PENFED.

They are conservative compared to NFCU, but have better rates. PENFED loves to see positive payment history. Just give it time.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Guy, will do! Did you bother to join USAA as well? From researching on this site I did want to wait til I was mid 600 or higher before applying at PenFed, I am there with Experian but not Equifax. Being under 600 I'll take the $500 credit line that gives me another credit line to grow a win

Message 5 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I didn't bother with USAA. I used to bank with them and you have to have a military ground or be elegible for the insurance or credit products. 

For me, there was no benefit to rejoin USAA. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not seen any great posts about USAA, I just noticed it was another perk with the Navy League

Message 7 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What font/language are you typing in?

agreed..

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

OP please post in English not symbol or any other language. I thank you for your understanding on this.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.