Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Advise regarding Credit Scores After Chapter 7

tag
Etherial73
New Contributor

Please Advise regarding Credit Scores After Chapter 7

Hello everyone,

I'm a returning member after being away a while. I experienced a job loss late last year and was out of work almost 4 months. With little to no emergency savings, I lost everything. All of my loans and credit cards defaulted, my car was repossesed, and I was evicted from my rental home. I have since found another well paying job, but my credit scores are now in the mid 400's. With almost $50,000 worth of debt, I'm searching for a good Chapter 7 bankruptcy attorney.

One thing I have never understood is how already low scores are suppressed/increased because of bankruptcy. I believe it's common to lose around 200 points, and the higher the score at the time of bankruptcy the more of a hit you take. But with scores as low as mine, would a chapter 7 make them much worse, and how long after discharge would those scores stay suppressed, assuming I started rebuilding responsibly right away?

Also, with so many accounts showing charged off and in collections, would IIB and zero balance help to increase my scores or would it not make a difference?

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please Advise regarding Credit Scores After Chapter 7

Hi, I need your help. I noticed in one of your old posts you had contacted a GM financial executive regarding a good will letter. Can I ask you how did you come in contact with him. Long story short I have a car loan with GM financial that has been charged off but I still own the car. I am trying to have the account deleted of my credit report before I give them a payment of almost $10,000. But I think my letter needs to reach the right person.  

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.