Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please HELP!!! Bankruptcy Question AND Question about Medical Bill Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please HELP!!! Bankruptcy Question AND Question about Medical Bill Collections

I have a bankruptcy on my credit reports that is 8 years old...I thought they are supposed to drop off after 7 years but there was a note on my report that stated it wouldn't come off until after 10 years. I disputed that with the credit reports but does anyone know why some bankruptcies take that long to disappear from a report? Also, the bankruptcy appears twice on my credit record - and I don't understand why this would be the case

Also - Most of my collection debt currently listed on my credit report is from medical bills. I was under the impression this was against the law and was in violation of HIPPA regulations. Does anyone know how this works? Are these items that I can dispute with the credit reporting firms because they are medical bills?

Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bullrun*
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Please HELP!!! Bankruptcy Question AND Question about Medical Bill Collections

chapter 7 is 10 years from file date, chapter 13 is 7 years from file date.  Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your medical question. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Please HELP!!! Bankruptcy Question AND Question about Medical Bill Collections

A discharged BK comes off in 7 years. A dismissed BK in 10 years.

I too am unsure of medical collections. I do not believe it is a violation to report them as collection accounts.

How old are they?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.