Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post BK Equifax dispute gone wrong

tag
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Post BK Equifax dispute gone wrong

Before and after my discharge, I took care to run, review and make an effort to clean up my baddies to make sure everything was included as IIB in my credit reports. After filing the disputes, TU and EXP were quick to remove or adjust the IIB accounts to $0 and closed (with IIB comments). However Equifax is a different story altogether. After initially filing the disputes 30 days ago, they immediately placed the three accounts in question into a 'Collections status', showing all of the late pays leading up to BK filing. Prior to the dispute, these 3 accounts only read as 'closed'. So, even filing the disputes tanked my Equifax scores. No clue why they had to go and make the status even more harmful while they investigated.

Anyhow, moving along, this morning I received word from Equifax that their findings were complete. So I logged in to find some even more unsettling news from them. On all three accounts in dispute, they decided that the accounts were being reported correctly by the creditors. Mind you, all three creditors were IIB and all three creditors are reporting the same accounts as IIB to Experian and TransUnion (correctly).

I guess my question is, whats next? Do I just live with an incorrect reporting or do I have further rights to have it corrected? BTW: My EquiFax score tanked 22 points today because of the results of their investigation. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Post BK Equifax dispute gone wrong

@beezer32 wrote:

Before and after my discharge, I took care to run, review and make an effort to clean up my baddies to make sure everything was included as IIB in my credit reports. After filing the disputes, TU and EXP were quick to remove or adjust the IIB accounts to $0 and closed (with IIB comments). However Equifax is a different story altogether. After initially filing the disputes 30 days ago, they immediately placed the three accounts in question into a 'Collections status', showing all of the late pays leading up to BK filing. Prior to the dispute, these 3 accounts only read as 'closed'. So, even filing the disputes tanked my Equifax scores. No clue why they had to go and make the status even more harmful while they investigated.

Anyhow, moving along, this morning I received word from Equifax that their findings were complete. So I logged in to find some even more unsettling news from them. On all three accounts in dispute, they decided that the accounts were being reported correctly by the creditors. Mind you, all three creditors were IIB and all three creditors are reporting the same accounts as IIB to Experian and TransUnion (correctly).

I guess my question is, whats next? Do I just live with an incorrect reporting or do I have further rights to have it corrected? BTW: My EquiFax score tanked 22 points today because of the results of their investigation. Any suggestions?

File a complaint with the CFPB on each of the creditors who verified it to be true, they are each breaking federal laws. The payment history can remain pre BK filing month but it has to be updated to IIB with 0 balance from date of filing forward once you get the discharge.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 2 of 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

I would call the creditors and ask that they send the CRA's info that those TL's were IIBK. If that doesn't work you can call your lawyer or file a CFPB complaint on EQ. They are allowed to report any late payments up to the file date though. Good luck!
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 4
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Thanks folks! Super helpful. I'll do both recommendations. I've also filed a second dispute against the accounts but this time I provided image evidence of my Schedule F inclusion. I'll contact  the creditors tomorrow and if Equifax doesn't get it right this time, I'll file the complaint. It sucks that we are bound by creditworthiness, especially if when it's inaccurate.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.