Established Member
Thechallange

Post BK rebuilding guidance

Hello board, I am seeking advice on rebuilding my credit. Early 2013 i decided to file bk. i filed my wife did not file her credit is bad but fixable with a couple of pfd and 1 judgement that will be deleted in about 18months. We had no joint liabilities. FF i was dc 4months ago. I have begun to rebuild. I have used the bk to 700 as a blueprint.
So far I have a Capital One Credit steps 300.00CL, First premier 700.00CL ( i plan to cancell using in place of the Credit One Card) and comenity retail account for 250.00CL. PreAppoved no HP. My question is should i now at 4-5 months later obtain a secured loan? I have no positive installments except for student loans they are reporting current but i was 90-120 late several times in the past. Should i establish a clean installment account? I carried no auto loans throughout my bk, auto is in my wifes name not looking for a new ride now. My biggest question is when can i pull the trigger on a NFCU account? Im interested in the navcheck LOC and a CC my scores are low at 630T, 640Ex and 580EQ. According to 700guide my next step is to apply for a 2nd Capital One but for me that would be in Dec/Jan.
Valued Contributor
ezdriver

Re: Post BK rebuilding guidance

I am in rebuilding mode too. My Ch 7 discharge was in April of this year. Using 4 credit cards [3 secured and 1 unsecured] and one secured installment loan. I'm paying close attention to payment times and amounts. Seems to be working fine.

Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor
mrsjr

In my opinion, I would not do the secured loan.  I understand that having a good installment record is important, but if you do that, you WILL pay interest.  Rebuidling your credit takes time.  I would wait until you need a car to do an installment loan.  I'm just not a fan of paying interest if you don't have to.  Also, I would consider dropping both FP and Credit One.  Since you have another credit card, I'm confident that you can get a better credit card, like barclays, if you keep your utilization low.

Discover IT 1K | Barclay Rewards MC 2.6K | Capital One QuickSilver 2.5K | Walmart 2.2K | Target 500 | Kay Jewelers 5.1K

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 800

Valued Contributor
ezdriver

mrsjr wrote:

In my opinion, I would not do the secured loan.  I understand that having a good installment record is important, but if you do that, you WILL pay interest.  Rebuidling your credit takes time.  I would wait until you need a car to do an installment loan.  I'm just not a fan of paying interest if you don't have to.  Also, I would consider dropping both FP and Credit One.  Since you have another credit card, I'm confident that you can get a better credit card, like barclays, if you keep your utilization low.

Depends on your priority. I could not care less about the tiny amount of interest that the credit union will make on my 12-month, $1,000 loan. I've got bigger fish to fry. It is worth much more to me to have a good tradeline mix than the interest. It all depends on what objective one is trying to achieve and the best path to getting there.

Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+