Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post BK7 credit card suggestions

tag
bunga7
Regular Contributor

Post BK7 credit card suggestions

I hoping someone will have some suggestions to help me...I'm trying to find a nother credit card to boost my total credit line. I've researched the 700 in 24 months, but I Can't get pre-approval on cap one.

I'm post BK7 (10/20130 and have a CC from 5/3rd Bank ($300) and CU CC ($1000) as well as credit line for $500 from credit union. I burned both Cap One ($800) and also HSBC (which I understand Cap One bought out.) I also burned one card (Jupiter) held by Braclay. I applied for cap one 5 mos. post BK7 and was denied...something to do with not enough income, even though it's $50-53K per year.  My other acoounts are Student loan (in deferment) and another installment private student loan being paid and never late for 8 years. I think I need one more credit account.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other cards I might try? My scores are EXP 634 (from experion), TU 663, EQ 644 (myFICO). I currently have 6 INQs. One will be more than 1 yr old this month, and 2 will be 1 yr old next month. I keep util around 9% total on current cards.

I'm leery of trying cap one again and getting another HP and denial. I've also tried pre-approval with Barclay and no luck. Do I NEED another card? Not necessarily, but I'd want to increase my total credit.  Anyone have any suggestions? Or, should I just garden until I'm 1-year post BK?

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
somotao
Frequent Contributor

Re: Post BK7 credit card suggestions

I am almost 4 years post BK7 and I get no pre-approvals from capital one or Barclays. I suppose it has to do with he fact that I have a BK showing on my credit report.

You could try finding a local credit union that is BK friendly. In addtion while you did burn Capital one you might want to try them once you are 12 months post BK. I am not sure if Barclays will care that you burned them in the past.....Keep in mind that Barclays likes to see about 12 months of history with another credit card before approving.

Discover is another option if you have not burned them in the past. I got mine 12 months post BK.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 2 of 6
bunga7
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I have a cc from my credit union. I've never had a discover card, and will likely try at the 12 month mark.  It bums me about Cap one because so many seem to get a card soon, even though they burned them. The only thing I can think is that most of the cards burned in BK were HSBC cards, which I know Cap one bought out. So maybe that's holding me back?

I don't think I'm doing bad building my scores...I got a late start cleaning up my reports. It's just frustrating because I'd like to have a higher credit limit overall.

Message 3 of 6
bunga7
Regular Contributor

@somotao wrote:

I am almost 4 years post BK7 and I get no pre-approvals from capital one or Barclays. I suppose it has to do with he fact that I have a BK showing on my credit report.

You could try finding a local credit union that is BK friendly. In addtion while you did burn Capital one you might want to try them once you are 12 months post BK. I am not sure if Barclays will care that you burned them in the past.....Keep in mind that Barclays likes to see about 12 months of history with another credit card before approving.

Discover is another option if you have not burned them in the past. I got mine 12 months post BK.

I notice you have cap one card...did you just apply without a prequalify? Do you recall how far out of BK you were when you applied?  I thought about applying for walmart at this point, but I think I hould just hold out for discover.

Message 4 of 6
somotao
Frequent Contributor

@bunga7 wrote:

@somotao wrote:

I notice you have cap one card...did you just apply without a prequalify? Do you recall how far out of BK you were when you applied?  I thought about applying for walmart at this point, but I think I hould just hold out for discover.

I found this forum a year after my BK7. It was the very first card I applied for. I never burned them but maybe the 12 months wait before the application helped me. I would hold out for discover, if you never burned them you have a good chance of getting their card if you time you applications  right.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 5 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@bunga7 wrote:

I hoping someone will have some suggestions to help me...I'm trying to find a nother credit card to boost my total credit line. I've researched the 700 in 24 months, but I Can't get pre-approval on cap one.

I'm post BK7 (10/20130 and have a CC from 5/3rd Bank ($300) and CU CC ($1000) as well as credit line for $500 from credit union. I burned both Cap One ($800) and also HSBC (which I understand Cap One bought out.) I also burned one card (Jupiter) held by Braclay. I applied for cap one 5 mos. post BK7 and was denied...something to do with not enough income, even though it's $50-53K per year.  My other acoounts are Student loan (in deferment) and another installment private student loan being paid and never late for 8 years. I think I need one more credit account.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other cards I might try? My scores are EXP 634 (from experion), TU 663, EQ 644 (myFICO). I currently have 6 INQs. One will be more than 1 yr old this month, and 2 will be 1 yr old next month. I keep util around 9% total on current cards.

I'm leery of trying cap one again and getting another HP and denial. I've also tried pre-approval with Barclay and no luck. Do I NEED another card? Not necessarily, but I'd want to increase my total credit.  Anyone have any suggestions? Or, should I just garden until I'm 1-year post BK?

Do you have a specific objective/timeframe in mind that is driving your wish to have more credit cards?

I used First Progress Bank online....got two secured cards [$300 each] with one application. This helped me rebuild my credit to the point where I will be closing on a new home purchase shortly ... just one year post ch7 bankruptcy.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.