Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post discharge advice

tag
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Post discharge advice

I got my discharge earlier this week, and I'm not really in a huge rush to start applying for CCs, but I wondered when I should plan to get started. I've looked at the post on how to get from BK to 700 in 24 months, but I don't know yet how closely I'll be following it because some of the recommended CC companies were already burned.

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Post discharge advice

I'd start right after I verified my reports were reporting correctly... All accounts $0 balance IIB.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to get 2 capital one cards (3k and 1k) a few months after discharge even though I included them in my chapter7.
Message 3 of 7
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your responses. We first got into debt several years ago, then tried to settle what accounts we could when things were better. And when our financial situation took a nosedive again I knew better than to keep fighting a losing battle forever and finally filed. So probably half of the accounts listed were charged off several years ago, and I'm not sure whether or not I should expect to be blacklisted by those companies. I guess time will tell. I'm assuming the accounts I didn't include (all zero balance) with companies I did burn will be closed, but so far I haven't heard anything. If for some reason they leave them open, I guess I'll take advantage of the opportunity to keep building a positive payment history there. But in the meantime I still have my student loans. Maybe that will be some help. 

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 4 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@SFernandez13461 wrote:

Thanks for your responses. We first got into debt several years ago, then tried to settle what accounts we could when things were better. And when our financial situation took a nosedive again I knew better than to keep fighting a losing battle forever and finally filed. So probably half of the accounts listed were charged off several years ago, and I'm not sure whether or not I should expect to be blacklisted by those companies. I guess time will tell. I'm assuming the accounts I didn't include (all zero balance) with companies I did burn will be closed, but so far I haven't heard anything. If for some reason they leave them open, I guess I'll take advantage of the opportunity to keep building a positive payment history there. But in the meantime I still have my student loans. Maybe that will be some help. 

Wait 30 days and then pull your three credit reports for review and correction of any inaccurate reporting. Then.....

If you don't get approved for unsecured credit cards, then get two secured credit cards [credit amount dooes not matter] and start building positive payment history to offset the negative of a bankruptcy discharge. One way to find out if any your your cards have been closed is to tray and use them for small purchases.

Message 5 of 7
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was able to get 2 capital one cards (3k and 1k) a few months after discharge even though I included them in my chapter7.

Same exact scenario for me.  In fact 1 month for one card and 2 months for the other.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We  burned Cap 1 in BK and one month after discharge we each had two cards from them. You can also start with your local CU and open up a shared secured savings loan. A great rebuilder. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.