Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Bk7 spending and documentation for after we file....Please advise

tag
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre-Bk7 spending and documentation for after we file....Please advise

Here is the article that shows Wells Fargo will do it.

http://www.consumerhelpcentral.com/wells-fargo-freeze-account-chapter-7/

You must have lucked out, because I know three or four people who weren't as lucky.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the above. I will add this:

1. If you have any leased vehicles, convert them to loans. We did this so that once the BK filing hit, we would still have our vehicles long-term for as long as we continue to pay for them. We reaffirmed them (plan on keeping), as part of our filing.

2. Do not accept any financial gifts from family or friends. Our lawyer questioned us regarding this, and if we knew of anything coming our way within six months.

3. Don't take any trips outside of the US (luxury travel), prior to filing.

4. Hire an attorney and find out whether you pass the Means test. If you pass it with flying colors, then you will most likely be fine, provided there are no other red flags. If you barely pass it / are borderline, be prepared to know your options. Speak thoroughly with your attorney, ask about how the Bankruptcy administrator and Trustee handle these cases, and what your attorney has seen happen with these cases.

Message 12 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Agree with almost all of the above posts.  Wells Fargo has a well documented reputation of freezing accounts so the person that got lucky in his BK 7 was just that - lucky.

In addition to the posts above, make sure you research, research, research Ch 7 as it relates to you in your state. 

Here is one good source of information:  http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-file-for-chapter-7-bankruptcy-hfb.html

Naturally, you want to listen to your attorney, but when you research on your own you can ask more in depth questions and get a much better handle on your filing.

Get to know PACER so you can track your filing.

Don't transfer anything prior to filing -this includes real estate, bank accounts (can open new ones and move funds to yourself, but not to others), motor vehicles etc.

Review the peitition so you know what questions will be asked of you.

Your attorney will have a list of documents you need to provide.  The larger your filing, the more history you will have to provide to the attorney and he will have to provide it to the trustee.

Have you interviewed several attorney's? They are not all the same. Some are well worth their fee and others are not. Get your money's worth....

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@panthersguy wrote:

THANKS!!!!! If there's any other info you found helpful or wished you had known during, I'd love to hear it...

Thanks again for the info, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!!!

Smiley Happy

The best thing I wish I had known during filing is simply BREATHE. I probably reviewed my filing a hundred times making sure everything was right. I stressed myself out so much between my decision to file and my 341 that I lost sleep. Got to my 341 and I didn't even talk to the trustee for more than 4 minutes. That only lasted as long as it did because I had to explain some issues with my Tax Return that I was working on the IRS with.

Read your filing well before you sign it, don't be afraid to ask your attorney questions, and after it is filed, relax and enjoy the peacefulness of no more creditor calls while you wait on your 341.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.