Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-filing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-filing

For those who have already filed, or just began the process. I am looking to file soon, I have just recently decided on a lawyer. From our discussion lawyers think I will qualify for ch.7. I am wondering from experience is there anything that you wish you knew prior to filing? Anything you would have done differently to plan for filing? What if any advice would you give someone who is going to file?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Pre-filing

My biggest mistake was waiting too long, I wish I would have done it much sooner. You are already here, so I'm assuming you have read all of the info you need Smiley Happy Good luck and welcome to the forums! 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 10
empressj
Frequent Contributor

My mistake was also waiting too long, ended up with garnishment and my HR manger found out I filed :/ I filed last week and already have the date for 341 meeting. Good luck to you! 

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I have already and in my opinion waited to long as well. But praying this process is easy.

Message 4 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks I have already and in my opinion waited to long as well. But praying this process is easy.

I waited up until I wondered how I would pay all my bills the following month. Luckily as of now I do not have any derogs but that will soon change. I will be filing BK7 shortly. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear you about that. We stopped paying CC a couple months ago, so I am relieved the phone calls had stopped although a hoiiday week. Filed Tuesday down to 1 creditor called today so hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday things will be quiet. We filed since my husband had been out of work due to illness already took a loan against retirement and savings down so we both knew it was time. And if it was up to me it would of been months ago he just was holding out hope. I could kill him now when I realize we could have more money but its all good. HIs health is much better and now back to work. 

Message 6 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I hear you about that. We stopped paying CC a couple months ago, so I am relieved the phone calls had stopped although a hoiiday week. Filed Tuesday down to 1 creditor called today so hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday things will be quiet. We filed since my husband had been out of work due to illness already took a loan against retirement and savings down so we both knew it was time. And if it was up to me it would of been months ago he just was holding out hope. I could kill him now when I realize we could have more money but its all good. HIs health is much better and now back to work. 

I hope your husband is doing well. i completely understand how an illness can put you in the position to file BK. That is what happened to me as well. My wife was diagnosed with a serious illness and was at the Mayo Clinic for almost a year. I hope both of our journeys go as smooth as they possibly can. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much. I hope your wife is doing better. I have to say it has all been a lot to adjust too, but just grateful the option in there. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to hear that your husband is doing well! The hardest part for me regarding the filing of my Chapter 7, was getting up the courage to do it. From the time I filed to discharge was the biggest relief I had in months. I'm sure it will go smoothly for you as well.

If I could offer one piece of insight/hindsight...consider using this time while you await the discharge to really examine the steps you'll take post Chapter 7. I read this forum non-stop and continue to learn daily. This community is an ourstanding resource. Having the time to really plan for your rebuild and your new finincial future is incredible. We are all here for you special111.

Smiley Happy

Chapter 7: Discharged November 2015
11/15 Fico 8: EQ-585, TU-550, EX- 551
07/16 Fico 8: EQ-703, TU-695, EX- 660
09/16 Post App Spree Fico 8: EQ-675, TU-675, EX-663
Cap One Platinum $2K>$4K, Cap One Quicksilver $3K, Discover $1,800, SPGVisa $4500, Red Roof Inn Siggy Visa $5K, Good Sam/Camping World Visa $1800, Overstock $7,300, Lowe's $6K, NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $4600, NFCU CLOC $15K, PenFed Promise Visa $10,500, Evine $1K, CreditOne Visa $600|Total CL: $173K
Garden until September 2018 (I'll be in the pumpkin patch)!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much and I will. I have learned so much from this site already

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.