Did you mean: 

Problem with Reaffirmation

tag
ONEPICKYONE
New Contributor

Problem with Reaffirmation

Hi all,

So here is my question...

I had an auto loan that was included in my 2004 BK. I did not reaffirm the loan, however continued to pay monthly payments until Feb 2008 when I traded it in. I noticed on my credit report that it continued to report after the BK all the way up to March 2008. There are multiple late pays being reported. I never paid late after the BK. I was told that  since I did not reaffirm the loan, they are not allowed to report lates . Is that correct? I just want to know if I have grounds to dispute . They will not GW the lates. I just know that from all the difficulty Ive had ewith them in past.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Problem with Reaffirmation

Was it IIB? How did you keep the car without reaffirming?

Message 2 of 6
ONEPICKYONE
New Contributor

I filed a chapter 7 bk. I dont know how I ended up keeping the car. I did not sign any reaffirmation papers or any other kind of agreement. The credit union just continued to accept my payments . I never asked any questions .
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you did not reaffirm the debt, they should not be reporting anything after your BK file date.  You should dispute with the the 3 credit bureaus and they should fix this or delete it.  We had accounts that did the same thing when we filed, but after disputing, they were either fixed or altogether deleted from our reports.  Good luck!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar issue when I filed Ch 7.  My attorney didn't get the paperwork for the reaffirmation to me on time so the vehicle was not reaffirmed.  I made payments to the creditor until I wanted to get a different vehicle and told the creditor to come and pick it up. 

The couldnt report anything negative after the filing date.  So it actually worked in my favor.  If they are reporting after your filing date dispute it and provide your bankruptcy papers.

Message 5 of 6
ONEPICKYONE
New Contributor

Hi and thanks for replying. Can you give me an example of a dispute letter I would send for this?

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.