Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress! Advice please.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Progress! Advice please.

Checked Cap1's prqual site and got the "Congratulations." Applied for the plat and approved for $500 SL. Tried to apply for the QS1 but got denial message. Getting the Plat approval is huge to me considering I'm a month out from my Chp7 discharge and I included Cap1 for about 1700. My question now is about the QS1 denial. Since iot used the same HP as the Plat, how should I proceed? Should I just go with the Plat, accept the denial of the QS1 while gardening my Credit1, Cap1, and Fingerhut, then reapply once I get a bit more history, or should I be a bit more aggressive in seeing about a recon and call a backdoor #? I don't see this HP as wasted since it got me the Plat but if I could get a 2 for 1 here, I'd like that. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Progress! Advice please.

You could try the backdoor number and see about getting it approved. It couldn't hurt you. If they don't approve it, you're in a good place to start your rebuilding. I would garden the cards you have for 3-6 months and try CapOne's prequal again to see if you can get the QS1 or a better card. Keep your inquiries low. Several other cards look at the number of inquiries you have and base their approval off of them. 

I initially got a First Premier Bank card and a secured Capital One card. One month later, I was prequalified for both the QS1 and Platinum. YMMV for every card. Have you cleaned up your credit report? Baddies removed or listed as "included in bankruptcy"? That is the first step you should take. Dispute everthing with the credit bureaus. I was able to get all of my negative accounts removed by disputing them except my old car loan that I surrendered during my BK7. 

Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I did the same thing. But I spread out the apps 1 month in between. I used the Plat like crazy. Paying it off every 2 weeks and made sure when the statement hit. I was at 3%. See below. The day before I was approved for the Venture. I didnt pre-qualify for nothing. It showed up and I went for it and got it. So its garden time till 08/16 when HP's and lein will fall off. Baby steps. You'll get there like I did, So next Jan/Feb/March of 2017. They wont mean much. But ended up with 17k CL.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Nikki and Fire. I have disputed and made sure all is reporting correctly as included in bankruptcy. Everything has updated over the last few days which I think is why it gave me a congratulations instead of the standard recommend message. I think I will call tomorrow and see what they say. Then garden regardless of the answer. I have a dedicated plan on how I'm using my cards for everyday stuff like Netflix, CCT, gas, etc. along with paying it all down to under 10% right before the statement date. Thinking if I get the QS1 reconed, I'll SD the Credit1 until next year and cancel it before the annual fee. By then, I should be in a decent spot where losing a $300 credit line won't ding me.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks Nikki and Fire. I have disputed and made sure all is reporting correctly as included in bankruptcy. Everything has updated over the last few days which I think is why it gave me a congratulations instead of the standard recommend message. I think I will call tomorrow and see what they say. Then garden regardless of the answer. I have a dedicated plan on how I'm using my cards for everyday stuff like Netflix, CCT, gas, etc. along with paying it all down to under 10% right before the statement date. Thinking if I get the QS1 reconed, I'll SD the Credit1 until next year and cancel it before the annual fee. By then, I should be in a decent spot where losing a $300 credit line won't ding me.

I have a Credit One card currently as well and it's sock-drawered currently. It'll be a year in August. I just have to get around to cancelling it before the Annual fee hits. I also have a Verve card that's about the same that needs to be cancelled soon. I'll lose $1000 in my credit line but I just added a $5000 card so it shouldn't have much effect on my report. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: They said that since I applied last month and again this month, I could only have 2 applications. So the 3rd app for QS1 was too many and to wait 30 days before reapplying.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Update: They said that since I applied last month and again this month, I could only have 2 applications. So the 3rd app for QS1 was too many and to wait 30 days before reapplying.

So I didn't feel satisfaction with that reply and I called again, got another rep through a backdoor number and explained that I applied on 03/17/16 and again on 04/18/16. Technically outside the 30 day window. He put me on hold, checked into the situation, came back and told me that he will submit my application for recon. It can take up to 5 business days, there may be another HP, and if approved, I should receive my card in 7-10. That, even with the threat of another HP, is much better than "reapply in 30 days."

Message 7 of 8
6speed8
Regular Contributor

They're surprisingly BK friendly. Got my Platinum card a month before discharge at $500. Got my QS card 2 weeks after discharge at $750. By December with early and above payments, they were raised to $2500 and $3000. Last month, I paid off the QS, closed it and combined the limit to the QS card at $5500. Got rid of First Premier and Credit One. Now just the QS and TTCU. Two cards with the same overall credit limit as having the 5 cards. I wasn't worried about closing any of them since they're all within 30 days of the same age.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.